Archinect
anchor

Boston to Maine and back...Suggestions?

glick

I am leaving on a one week road trip of sorts - flying to Boston then renting a car - hopefully traveling as far north as Maine, and then returning to Boston. Any must sees, architecturally or not, along the way? I plan of course to hit Harvard, M.I.T. etc and spend a few days in the city before traveling up the coast. Any suggestions or places not to miss would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Jun 8, 05 3:12 pm
Ddot

Portsmouth, NH is a nice little town. maybe not a must see, but you might find a few like minded free spirited people there.

Anywhere on the coast of Maine is nice, but you might not find a way to see the most stunning places without some help from the locals. Portland is good for spending a day to explore. Freeport is worth a visit if you want to do any LLBean shopping. Further north in Maine starts to get pretty sparsely populated : Boothbay, Bar Harbor, Acadia National Park, Rockland, Mount Katahdin.

If you're into the outdoors, anywhere you go in Maine will suit you. A trip to Acadia would fill a week on it's own.

Jun 8, 05 3:21 pm  · 
 · 

kahn's exeter library, philips exeter academy, in eastern part of new hampshire.

moneo's davis museum at wellesley college, west of boston in mass.

connecticut river railroad Station, holyoke (in the west part of ma.), by h.h. richardson in collaboration with f.l. olmsted

richardson's own house in brookline, ma, where olmsted was his neighbor. olmsted archives is here, though i don't know if it's open to the public.

the boott cotton mills museum in lowell, ma, run by the national park service as a museum recognizing lowell's role as one of the u.s.'s first industrial cities.

Jun 8, 05 3:34 pm  · 
 · 
melivt

if you run through lowell, eat at arthur's on bridge st. near downtown and get a triple boot mill. it's unbelievable and a bargain breakfast. i'd also be sure to catch a game while in boston.

Jun 8, 05 3:56 pm  · 
 · 
tinydancer

Drive up the 1 and kit Camden-beautiful!
Also Kinnebunkport

Jun 9, 05 12:14 am  · 
 · 
tinydancer

hit Camden-sorry

Jun 9, 05 12:14 am  · 
 · 
glick

Thanks for your responses everyone. I now definitely plan to stop by Lowell, and some of the projects SW suggested. Bargain food anytime is a must, and it helps if it is actually good...thanks meli.

Jun 9, 05 8:18 am  · 
 · 
mm

Safdie's museum in Salem, MA is quite nice.

Also, the Art Museum in Portland, ME is really wonderful. Perhaps my favorite small museum.

Jun 9, 05 9:55 am  · 
 · 
Hum4n

Peabody Essex Museum

Glouster---for lobster dinner/ fishing

If you are into cultures...Lowell has a big asian community of Cambodia, and Laos...try some food stop by any grocery store, it's like a different country.

If you stay long, white mountain in New Hamsphere is breath-taking and relatively an easy hike.

Around Maine, check the state park of Arcadia---my old firm is renovating the park facilities.

HAve fun!

Jun 9, 05 11:13 am  · 
 · 
glick

i think i may have to extend my trip...

Jun 9, 05 12:41 pm  · 
 · 
melivt

np
enjoy. when i am in the area, i eat there daily. though be warned, you might be waiting upwards of 35-40 minutes for the best breakfast ever.

also, for future reference, there is a website, www.archinform.net, where you can look up buildings by location, architect. it tends to be pretty thorough on the european side, but stateside, it isn't updated that often. but most major projects in a locale can be found.

Jun 9, 05 3:09 pm  · 
 · 
MiesvanderRice

I lived in Maine for a summer, and it doesn't get any better than the easternmost point in the U.S.; West Quoddy Head. You have to drive all the way to the end of Maine (the U.S. in fact) but there's a state park there that's spectacular and free of tourists (unlike everywhere else in the state.) Also, you can then cross the border into Canada, see Campobello Island where FDR grew up, and see the East Quoddy head lighthouse. A fantastic quasi-ruin that can only be visited at low tide. Here's a pic.

Jun 9, 05 3:26 pm  · 
 · 

skip all the "architecture...." The coast and national parks are best. I would hang out in Portland for two-three hours, enjoy life at a coffee shop there, then head up to Bar Harbor/Acadia National Park and have some pizza "downtown" at sunset. Good Trip.

Jun 9, 05 9:59 pm  · 
 · 
Ddot

I agree with derrida. the best architecture in new england are coastal houses, anyway.

Cadillac Mountain at sunset will be worth the trip.

Jun 10, 05 8:01 am  · 
 · 
local

If you have more time in Portland, take a walk and explore the old alleys on Munjoy Hill and eat breakfast at Bintliffs (@ 98 Portland Street). The Casco Bay Lines ferry service does mellow cruises around the islands too.

Acadia National Park is crazy beautiful, as is most of the coast. Beware of traffic on Route 1. Could suck now that the weather is getting nice.........

have fun

Jun 10, 05 3:37 pm  · 
 · 
glick

Thanks all. I leave on Monday morning at 5:30 am. I'll post some pics when I get back. Cheers!

Jun 12, 05 5:22 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: