Archinect
anchor

Modern Golf Facilities

neildesi

Just wondering if anyone happens to know of any golf facilities: clubhouses / proshops / etc. of note. Any projects that have been published over the last 10 years?

Jun 6, 05 3:38 pm
Jrocc

Clubhouses arnt the most progressive typology for buildings you have to remember where they are coming from its the old boys club, they like tradition and things not changing. The only intresting things I could think of would be urban driving ranges where the tight quarters force intresting solutions. Mainly these come as multi tiered decks oposing each acroos a large open space. Theres one in downtown San Diego, or used to be I cant think of the name.

Jun 6, 05 6:07 pm  · 
 · 
neildesi

yes i agree in many respects, but the golf demography is rapidly changing. I thought mabey there could be some interesting progressive facilites perhaps in Japan, Taiwan, or Korea....

I am basically in search of precedents that have had to be designed for a demography different from that of the old boys club or old money....

mabey there is no such thing....

Jun 6, 05 6:48 pm  · 
 · 
whistler

Morphosis did a couple of designs I don't know if they got built, Same with Izosaki, but the good modern ones will have been done in Asia.

Jun 6, 05 7:47 pm  · 
 · 
rayray

neildesi - you should check out the ny times article from this sunday regarding
the new old money - no photos, but plenty of descriptions and would be a great
read considering your interest.

wasn't zaha's first big competition winner a club of some sort, the peak in hong
kong I think...not sure

Jun 6, 05 8:34 pm  · 
 · 
g-love

look at marlon blackwell's website (www.marlonblackwell.com) can't remember the name of the project, but there is a pretty extensive and damn cool looking golf club he's done/doing out in western arkansas. and it is built (mostly). search around for it - it's as forward looking as anything i've ever seen built.

Jun 6, 05 9:56 pm  · 
 · 
hckybg

i realize it isn't from the last ten years, but Harry Weese did the clubhouse at a Par 3 in Columbus, Indiana in 1964 that is decidedly very modern and worth a look.

Jun 6, 05 11:40 pm  · 
 · 
rayray

check the awards at
http://arq-infad.arqa.com/fad2005/index-cas.htm

carlos ferrater has a golf club that is listed and has an image

Jun 7, 05 11:37 am  · 
 · 
freq_arch

Here in Ontario (Canada) I like Legends on Niagara
http://www.ventingroup.com/leis_1.html

Jun 7, 05 1:39 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: