Archinect
anchor

I quit my job amicably 2 months ago.......

lobotomy79

I quit my employment of 4 years with an architecture firm a few months ago for personal reasons. I am now looking to get back to working, the problem is I never got samples of the work I did at my last firm. What would be the best way do I ask for copies of the projects I worked on so I can update my portfolio??

Sep 10, 11 11:11 am

This previous thread might be helpful.

Also, if previous firm was/is AIA members, the AIA ethics clause says that firm owners should not "reasonably" withhold images from former employees to use in their portfolios, with permission and stipulations, of course.  The flip side, if you are AIA yourself, is that you cannot take those images without permission, which should be a good ethical standard whether you are AIA or not.

Sep 10, 11 11:28 am  · 
 · 
Urbanist

11:11:11?  Cool.  

I think most decent employers have policies for that sort of thing.  I think ours asks the leaver to pass a list of the desired images with to HR, which runs the list past the PM to make sure there's no contract issues (very rare.. typically only applies in cases where there's regulatory confidentiality involved - say a gov't building) and then to IT to retrive the images.  Takes about a day.

Sep 10, 11 8:32 pm  · 
 · 
lobotomy79

Thank you for responses....seems like it should be totally ok for me to ask my boss without feeling too awkward!!

Sep 11, 11 1:25 am  · 
 · 
snook_dude

It should be two awkard that is unless you were sleeping with his wife....then it might get a bit....might I say AWKARD!

Sep 11, 11 7:50 pm  · 
 · 
Urbanist

Well, there's a semi-aprocryphal story that a particular NY starchitect once pulled a knife on one of his principals, grabbed him from behind and held it to his throat, when the principal tried to resign from the firm.

Sep 12, 11 11:54 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: