Archinect
anchor

resume issues->change in career path

mmm3

I am moving from an architectural job of 2+ years to the developer side of things (hey, I like money).

When putting together my updated resume I have stumbled upon a problem. I have been the project architect for 4 new buildings (all in the final stages of construction as we speak). The problem here lies is the relationship of the owners and the firm I work for. While I have served as diligent p.a. handling everything that arises in construction and in management I cannot say the same for the partner(s) I work for (through out the whole process). Needless to say the owners (and the p.m.) are not thrilled with them. Which sometimes indirectly reflects on me or get associated with me (again some of this is speculation) So...

When listing projects I have been involved with do I willing list contact information (more than just the address of the projects but the owners name, contact information, etc.) I'm not sure how much weight this will carry on a potential hiring or am I just setting myself for a risk that there is no need for? Or should I just stick to scope and duties?

Thanks.

Jun 4, 05 4:16 pm
TED

i dont think you have to list every contract for every project --

first only list folks which will speak well of you. there really isnt a need to give more than 2 references maybe three - perhaps you disconnect them from the projects after all working in a firm 2 years really isnt that long.

Jun 4, 05 4:41 pm  · 
 · 
mmm3

That's the problem I don't know who will speak well of me b/c i don't know if they will seperate me from the firm. It is hard to tell who is at fault with a some of the project apsects sometimes (because I am taking orders from the bosses about how to handle things that puts me in a negative aspect). And I see your point of timeline being 2 years but that has been the extent of all 4 projects (in a limited scope, these aren't the smallest of projects either).

Jun 4, 05 4:49 pm  · 
 · 
TED

dont list anyone your not sure will be a good reference. i dont list anyone on a cv unless it gets to the interview stage. just list references will be on request.

if you plan to use these bloaks for reference in the future, i would suggest investing in taking them to lunch and mend some bridges and ask if you can use them as a reference. dont just blame your bosses as the fees some client give dont allow you to do shit and clients often have cut back services dramatically.

you also need to speak reasonably highly about the guys you work for at an interview and dont trash them.... it only discredits your work experience with them completely if your future employer thinks your experience is from a group of fools.

Jun 4, 05 8:46 pm  · 
 · 
mmm3

thanks for the advice. I guess I'll role with the references on request. I agree with not talking about previous employeers bad, it speaks allot about yourself.

Jun 4, 05 11:19 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: