Archinect
anchor

pro bono work

johndevlin

this as a cure for architects' depression? How may of you out there do it?

Jun 4, 05 12:16 am
whistler

Did work for an animal Shelter where a portion of our fee was pro bono. We are both Architects and Landscape Architects so we didn't charge for the Landscape Architecture Services.

Jun 6, 05 12:13 am  · 
 · 
Cameron

7 days a week for the past 6 years....

Jun 6, 05 12:17 am  · 
 · 
Archi-F

why don't you go to Cameron's Site - you'll understand...
http://www.architectureforhumanity.org/

Jun 6, 05 5:24 pm  · 
 · 
Ms Beary

i do pro bono work. i am doing an interior remodel (non-structural) of a non-profit shelter house. it takes more time than I want it to, but it is fun and i get plenty of "thank you's" - so it is very satisfying. i will also get a press release on it.

Jun 6, 05 5:55 pm  · 
 · 
SullivanJ

how does it work if you are not registered? I know you can't remove/add structural walls, but what can you do? I am sure it changes from state to state, right?

Jun 7, 05 5:15 pm  · 
 · 
Ms Beary

sullivanJ - I had been meaning to get back you, sorry it took so long.

i am doing interior design bascially, decorating is the even less elloquent way of saying it: paint, artwork, moving furniture around, new lampshades, curtains etc and it's actually kinda tough to do on the side, lots to think about and accomplish. my firm knows about it and i had to write up a little waiver even to do this. they aren't being jerks about it, it's an insurance thing.

i also do some habitat for humanity stuff.

Jun 14, 05 7:53 pm  · 
 · 
SullivanJ

Strawbeary- Thanks, I looking for something like that to do myself, but I have never done anything like it befor except for family, I was worried about people want you to start adding and removing walls. I want to stay away from anything like that. I also looked into Habitat for Humanity but there is a YEAR long wait to get on the volunteer list in NYC.

Jun 15, 05 8:50 am  · 
 · 
Ms Beary

i know, they have more than enough volunteers here too. what they really need is supervisory positions usually to guide the volunteers.

Jun 15, 05 9:00 am  · 
 · 

for a couple of years i served on a task force for access center partnership, a resource organization providing advice, design ideas, and specific solutions for accessibility issues. we were usually consulted with issues relating to retrofitting old storefronts with steps and things like that - how to make aging structures accessible without the modifications being a huge burden on tenant or building owner and without drawing the wrath of local historic review boards.

now i'm on the building and grounds committee for a local historic home/museum. what that means most of the time is that i'm on the hook for pro bono renovation/maintenance advice, drawings, and oversight. but having my name attached to this prestigious property(based on a jefferson design and lincoln slept there) is a good thing for me, too.

Jun 15, 05 10:22 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: