Archinect
anchor

things to do/see in portland

morningbell1101

going to portland for a few days. what's there to do and see there?

Jun 3, 05 4:26 pm
stephanie

when are you going?

Jun 3, 05 4:48 pm  · 
 · 
garywg

Will you have a car to drive around....It's totally worth to pay a visit to Mt. Angel library done by Alvar Aalto. It's not in Portland though, but 1/2 hr - 45 mins drive south of PDX

Otherwise, Pearl District is a good area of Portland. Used to be industrial but there's a lot of redevelopment recently. Allied Works Architecture office locates there.

How about Michael Grave's City Hall Building in downtown? To me: it's a joke :P

Jun 3, 05 5:28 pm  · 
 · 
stephanie

it's worth a laugh.
i haven't been to mt. angel but have seen lectures on it.
daylighting wonder!

i can't offer much in the ways of architecture in portland, but i'd say check out powells.

Jun 3, 05 5:30 pm  · 
 · 
morningbell1101

i'm planning on going the last week of june. i was thinking of taking the train -- is getting around pretty easy?

Jun 3, 05 5:36 pm  · 
 · 
stephanie

i thought it was pretty easy, you can get all the maps you need for the MAX and whatnot at the train station.

i like to get my hair cut at bishop's when i go there. if you have a spare hour or so. they give you high life while you wait.

also, the portland art museum has consistenly had good shows up every time i've visited.

and it you're into it PDX has the most stip clubs per capita in the country.

Jun 3, 05 5:49 pm  · 
 · 
tinydancer

You can walk Portland easily (Oregon, right?)
Rent a car and drive to McMinnville and check out the wineries! Yum!

Jun 3, 05 5:59 pm  · 
 · 
pencrush
Hasn't this been covered before?!?

yes!

yes!!

yes!!!

do a search!

Jun 3, 05 6:14 pm  · 
 · 
morningbell1101

i could have done that, but i'm on vacation, which makes me ten times lazier than normal and substantially less capable to remember to do a search.

Jun 3, 05 6:18 pm  · 
 · 
The commish

Portland is a pretty dreary place 9 months out of the year, but the summers here are fantastic. If you are here the last week of June, I highly recommend taking advantage of the outdoor activities that there are in the area.

Go hiking in the Gorge (Multnomah Falls is great; a bit on the tourist side, but worth seeing).

If you are staying in the downtown area, check out Washington Park. It is a quick walk from there down to the Pearl District where all the swanky shops and restaurants are. Personally I am more of a fan of the Southeast part of town (Hawthorne, Belmont). Great coffee shops and funky places to shop.

If you make it over to Belmont, there is great project on around 36th and Belmont by Holst Architecture. In my opinion, it is one of the most worthwile buildings to take a look at while here.

Park Blocks are great if you catch the farmers market.

The nightlife can be ok if you go to the right place.
A decent place to see a show is at a place called Doug Fir.
It used to be part of a crappy old motel on East Burnside that was recently remodelled by a firm called Skylab. Really shiny inside. Lots of smoke and mirrors(literally) but still a fun place. Halocene is also a decent place to go if you want to see some good music. It too is on the eastside on I think Morrison.

If you are lookin for a Hipster experience of Portland, check out the Pearl district. For the more mom and pop way of things, Southeast Portland is the way to go.

As it has already been stated, go to Powells. They have a walking map of Portland that will tell you everything you need to know.

Have Fun

Jun 3, 05 6:51 pm  · 
 · 
melvin

The Commish has the right idea if you really want to experience this town. There are plenty of discussions about this already......there's some interesting design going on in town, but Portland's about the lifestyle and the vibe right now. There's still not any great architecture because the clientele isnt' quite ready for it. But it's getting better. Pearl District is good, but the buildings in general are sub-par. Great urban spaces however and lots of activity. South Waterfront Development is worth looking into....just under construction but they have a cool showroom by Portland's own Ziba. That is also where the Portland Aerial Tram will connect to in the next few years.
Doug Fir is pretty cool i.m.o.....and check out Skylab's office / I.D. showroom under construction at 12th and SW Alder.
Belmont Lofts definitely worth a look too....36th and Belmont; and swing by another Holst condo under construction....Thurman Street Lofts at 25th and NW Thurman (see www.thurmanstreetlofts.com)

Portland : Pearl, SW,NW, SE, NE....it's all good.....very cool city and really up and coming.

Jun 3, 05 7:04 pm  · 
 · 
pencrush

SE is a total hipster area... The pearl is all yuppies. No 20 year old barista could live in the Pearl.

That skylab project on twelfth and alder is actually 2 condos above the ID store. Their office is next door.

The Holst building on Belmont is very nice.

Jun 3, 05 7:15 pm  · 
 · 
The commish

Really, the whole city is ultra trendy hipster style.
Some places more pronounced than others.

Jun 3, 05 7:19 pm  · 
 · 
pencrush

true.

Jun 3, 05 7:20 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: