Archinect
anchor

3d cg model or physical model?

Pete

What do most architects or students use in the design stage as a design tool, physical or 3d computer models?

Jun 2, 05 5:24 pm
momentum

both, especially if your boss is not fascinated with 3d models as a way of taking it to the client and going "look, we do 3d images in the computer." some clients and some bosses still think this is a fun toy.

as for me, mostly 3d due to lack of space at home. but i still get restless and build a model when i can clear off the dining room table of my wifes books.

Jun 3, 05 1:37 pm  · 
 · 
Pete

Do you draft before modelling (physical or 3d) or vise versa? It seems logic to have the dimensions first before building a model or 3d render, but many architects/professors say to model before drafting.

Jun 3, 05 2:50 pm  · 
 · 
momentum

if you are modelling in an accurate program such as microstation, you can take your drawings from the model. if it is something simple, i will just draft it, and if needed extrude it up. if it is more complex, i will model first. (microstation is pretty seemless by the way, so there is really only a difference in your mental approach to the program.)

if we are talking design studies, i would say modelling in either 3d or real world is best (awesome as well if you have a 3d printer available.) for say a final model (actually physical model you build), i would probably need some sort of measurements to go off of.

Jun 3, 05 4:03 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: