Archinect
anchor

a few harsh words about my work please.

THREADS

hey all, well since the grad school application process is finally over with I have decided to post my portfolio...thoughts?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/cheyneo/sets/393828/show/

May 30, 05 12:16 pm
symmetry

very well made. Where's your undergrad?

May 30, 05 12:29 pm  · 
 · 
geno

i wish i could see the panels at a larger scale.

May 30, 05 12:35 pm  · 
 · 
stephanie

nice graphics.
TOO SMALL!

May 30, 05 12:46 pm  · 
 · 
CalebRichers

were did u get accepted? i'm sure u have your choice of all, b/c your portfolio reflects great work!

May 30, 05 12:58 pm  · 
 · 
ovalle

The diagrams on page 5 seems very interesting, and beatifully made. I believe this is your strongest spread so far. The composition of the text in relationship to the diagrams/drawings works successfully . Using three-dimensional mapping creates a more dynamic interpretation of your research, thus allowing me to understand that you have approached your design spatially and temporally. good job.

The detail drawings you have included, I feel do not give me any more information about your project. In addition, they seem very generic at first glance. Ask yourself "what is so special about this detail that I must include it ?" You are giving up alot of real estate on your spread to a drawing that doesn't help explain much. I would rather see that diagram in the lower left corner, double in size (ie page 7)

May 30, 05 1:00 pm  · 
 · 
ovalle

sorry for spelling errors above.

May 30, 05 1:01 pm  · 
 · 
Archi-F

Love the white space - our PR person here uses a ton of black. It's driving me absolutely nuts.

May 31, 05 3:50 pm  · 
 · 
honorthebrick

I get a File Not Found page.

May 31, 05 4:30 pm  · 
 · 
Medit

try this: http://www.flickr.com/photos/cheyneo/sets/

click on 'all sizes' for a larger view of each panel (1223 x 791)

pretty nice work by the way..

May 31, 05 4:38 pm  · 
 · 
honorthebrick

Very nice. I also went with a white background. I will put it up one of these days.

May 31, 05 5:12 pm  · 
 · 
pumakiro

very clean...very nice job...I could not see the page i saw the "photo album version" so I couldn;t get to the details but I like it . Harsh words? hmmmm Maybe too clean more process will help...

May 31, 05 6:27 pm  · 
 · 
bUbBLe

Very Nice. Where did you went to undergrad?!

May 31, 05 7:06 pm  · 
 · 
Suture

pages 8 and 9 really seem to be out of place with the "nicer" level of work on all the other pps.

About the detail drawings-Maybe at full scale they have beutiful lineweights or are georgeous in their craft or ingenious in their solution, but to me they look like off the shelf details. If they are this beutiful tectonic description, perhaps you should let the reader know what the different parts are and a few dimension along the lines of the DETAILS magazine aesthetic.

and i would second/ third the call for more loose sketches that show process. Bonus points if you include some freehand still life or nakid chick model drawings.

Overall, its a nicely crafted book that shows a consistent higher level of work and shows you having the potential for reveling in the research and exploration that go into the making of Architeture.

May 31, 05 7:18 pm  · 
 · 
Ms Beary

you do have some nice craft to your work, and quite professional looking.
for constructive critisizm, I'd say the work is quite technical, especailly with the data alongside. Specifically, I'm not sure what the window head/roof edge detail does for you except show that you aren't a complete idiot when it comes to detailing and that you actually thought about stuff. The two pages with the similar layout and similar stuff (the long boxy house?) doesn't do too much for interest. These two pages are your weakest - the section thru the fireplace and the stoop? - maybe I don't get it? Anyways, the model looks far more interesting than the drawings. Why not show some larger images of that model, if it is crafted as good as your linework- and it looks like it is, you should show it off. Whats with the exploded axon of whatever it is? paving? bricks?
I agree with adding multidisiplinary stuff - like photographs, artwork, it can be a way to add color and mix it up, show that you are talented and thoughtful with more than just with the line.
Overall there seems an imbalance between research documentation and overall design skills, the former being stronger and the latter weaker. I would try to flip-flop this emphasis.

May 31, 05 7:44 pm  · 
 · 
jlxarchitect

A talented kid. Congradulations!

But the project size looks too small in the project scale. Have you done a library or sth a bit larger? Those kinds of prjects will really test your idea development skill.

Just my 2 cents.

Jun 1, 05 9:23 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: