Archinect
anchor

outsourcing and architecture?

heller high water

i'm reading thomas friedman's 'the world is flat' right now and i just started wondering if outsourcing is effecting architecture practice here in the U.S.? does any kind of low-level work, like cad stuff, get shipped out to india or china? if not, is the possibility there? do you think that i, as someone beginning his MArch in the fall, should do anything differently (in terms of summer jobs or electives or anything else) than someone beginning their MArch 10-15 years ago?

May 27, 05 1:46 am
J3

I touched on this subject a few weeks ago:
http://www.archinect.com/forum/threads.php?id=P18511_0_42_0_C
To answer your question...our profession has become more diversified. I have friends who are doing everything from CAD monkey-Furniture designer/builder-theatre stage designer.Sure the profession is changing, but not more than others.

May 27, 05 8:46 am  · 
 · 
cyn

i know architects who have their CDs done in Bermuda, where its much less expensive, apparently.

May 27, 05 9:19 am  · 
 · 
trace™

I worked at a firm that outsourced the CDs to a $60mil building to Manila. It will happen more and more. Design and management are the only two things that will need to stay in the US.

May 27, 05 9:29 am  · 
 · 
kaf

definitely...a project I was on got quite a bit of help from the Phillipines

May 27, 05 9:38 am  · 
 · 
MickMack

we outsource almost totally. in fact, one of my projects is finishing up CD's at the moment and it is the first set of CD's done in this office in 14 years!

we also have a china office...and all of our presentation books and such for projects come from that office.

May 27, 05 9:51 am  · 
 · 
cyn

maybe take some business or management courses?

May 27, 05 9:54 am  · 
 · 
cyn

mickmack--may i ask where your office is located and what size it is? is it a corporate type?

May 27, 05 9:55 am  · 
 · 
MickMack

we are in NYC...
20 people or so....
but very very established firm.

(wouldn't go so far as to call it a starchitect now...but definitely was at one point!)

May 27, 05 10:01 am  · 
 · 
ericharch

Here in NYC, there is a small rendering company run by 2 Chinese guys who have very affordable fees and decent quality. Apparently they run the business and get the clients in NYC, but have people overseas in Asia do the actual work -- or so the story goes. So watch out, all you fancy graphics lovers.

May 27, 05 10:04 am  · 
 · 
vado retro

you really ought to be more worried about insourcing ie foreign architects coming to your town and willing to work for much less than you can. personally, i d like to see some economists jobs and new york times columnists jobs outsourced.

May 27, 05 7:23 pm  · 
 · 
mmm3

Architectural Record did a big write up on this 2 or 3 months ago. Its been here and the ones who are going to suffer most are the mom and pop architectural firms who aren't up with the times. It is just another way to cut costs. It can be used for evil and good.

May 29, 05 9:49 pm  · 
 · 
Build1091

the firm im currently workin for right now in princeton nj outsources alot of cad work to what we in the office refer to "the bolgarians." A design is first developed and then the phone call is made to the bolgarian office followed by the sending of the cad files. With in days we recieve woking drawings (sometimes need to be touched up) but the price is cheap and they work for little above nothing.

May 30, 05 9:53 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: