Archinect
anchor

Best email service?

Jefferson

At least, online email service...gmail, yahoo, hotmail, etc???

May 26, 05 2:55 pm
Tectonic

gmail

May 26, 05 2:56 pm  · 
 · 

but how do you get gmail? I went to their website, and they say they're not offering publicly yet, but still testing on a limited group.

May 26, 05 2:58 pm  · 
 · 
stephanie

e-mail me via archinect

May 26, 05 3:00 pm  · 
 · 
Luis Fraguada

anyone who has gmail should be able to invite you with the 50 invites google gives you.

May 26, 05 3:01 pm  · 
 · 

gmail is definitely the way to go, imo. i have addresses if anyone needs em. it doesn't seem to exhaust them either. I give one away and it just goes back to 50.

May 26, 05 3:03 pm  · 
 · 

ah. see, it seems I was locked in my studio building tedious models when the rest of the world found this out. = )

stephanie, check your email.

May 26, 05 3:04 pm  · 
 · 
zoroaster

There's a helper app for gmail that lets you use your account as an online hard drive, it makes it appear in your windows explorer as an additional hard drive and you just drag and drop to it. It's pretty nifty, only thing however is that the files are limited to 10mb each, because that's the limit for the attachment size. Anyway here is the link...

http://www.lifehacker.com/software/file-sharing/gmail-drive-shell-extension-030890.php

May 27, 05 6:55 am  · 
 · 
Ms Beary

I have gmail to give out as well. e-mail me.

May 27, 05 8:31 am  · 
 · 
trace™

I've had Yahoo for about 8 years now, never once have I not been able to access it (can't say the same about my hosing service).

May 27, 05 9:31 am  · 
 · 
lush

That g-mail drive is f*in amazin!!

May 27, 05 10:26 am  · 
 · 
liberty bell

OK, I admit my absolute love for and dependence on gmail. But their "sponsored ads" on the left can creep me out - just got an email from someone that used the words "toddler" and "trying" in the same paragraph and sure enough, ads for ovulation predictors popped up on the sidebar....yikes, how the hell does that work....

May 27, 05 11:50 am  · 
 · 
Luis Fraguada

I actually don't even notice the ads! I know they are there, but they don't really bother me . . .

May 27, 05 12:06 pm  · 
 · 
mm

Liberty- Gmail uses a program to pick up on the subject of your emails and targets the "sponsored ads" to correspond with the common subjects of your email. I'm guessing you must be emailing everyone to celebrate the news of the new mini-liberty bell.

May 27, 05 12:07 pm  · 
 · 
Luis Fraguada

zoroaster . . . thanks for that Gmail drive link . . . that is pretty damn cool . . . using it now!

May 27, 05 1:23 pm  · 
 · 
magic_pie

Gmail, anyday. Loads of space, best part of it though is way you can organize your received emails.

May 27, 05 2:01 pm  · 
 · 
Archi-F

zoroaster -

Saved me from getting a larger flash drive stick - thanks

May 27, 05 2:13 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

mm, good guess! But it was someone else emailing me similar news. No mini-liberties for at least a couple years here.....

It's amazingly accurate - I was emailing with a graphic designer about a project we are both working on and all these ads for graphic software came up. I also rarely pay attention to the ads, but when I do I am constantly impressed and honestly feel like someone is looking through my window or something!

But as I said, I love gmail.

May 27, 05 3:15 pm  · 
 · 
ether

i'd just like to plug that i think hotmail sux ass.

May 27, 05 3:36 pm  · 
 · 
Luis Fraguada

I second that . . .

May 27, 05 3:47 pm  · 
 · 
stephanie

i like how when you delete all your spam on gmail(not that you really need to, i'm just like the feeling of accomplisment when i get rid of it) it says "hooray, no spam here!"

May 27, 05 4:52 pm  · 
 · 

ether- I agree entirely! Now that Stephanie invited me to gmail, I'm letting my hotmail account lapse. Every day I get at least fifty pieces of spam in it, even though I consistantly updated my junk mail settings to block these people, they keep finding ways in!

May 27, 05 5:22 pm  · 
 · 
Luis Fraguada

I still have a hotmail account, but I use it just for potential spamming, and other crap I sign onto just to get stuff. . . sometimes I download some shareware app or something that requires I give an email address and then verify that address before the software works. Anything to keep the gmail free of crap!

May 27, 05 6:11 pm  · 
 · 
zoroaster

I'm glad you guys liked the gmail drive thingy! I do aim to please (I guess). =)

May 27, 05 11:11 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

email me too for your gmail account needs...

May 28, 05 8:21 am  · 
 · 
spiderdad

yep, love gmail too. long live gmail

.........however......... has anyone else had trouble receiving emails from people they know have sent them something, especially they use hotmail or yahoo to send it...

May 28, 05 8:43 am  · 
 · 

did you all hear about the new personalized google home page ? it's pretty good. http://labs.google.com/

May 28, 05 9:08 am  · 
 · 
inkwray

One more for gmail.

May 28, 05 2:02 pm  · 
 · 
stainB

gmail question :::

Does anyone know how to download/upload gmail into outlook?

May 30, 05 11:03 am  · 
 · 
here
May 30, 05 4:33 pm  · 
 · 
ap

have to say it sucks a lot that gmail only allows up to 10 MB attachments. Hotmailplus is not free, but it allows up to 20 MB....

May 31, 05 8:02 am  · 
 · 
Archi-F

Just make a suggestion to Gmail to expand to 20MB, they accomodate requests really well. Still the best e-mail for free.

***Although I do have a time lapse recieving some e-mails from Gmail, but they always get to me by the end of the day.

May 31, 05 11:19 am  · 
 · 
Martinsson

"14 Jan. update: While Google keeps improving their GMail service, they also tend to break the tool's ability to connect to GMail. Version 1.0.5 was released to overcome the latest changes.---- Please be aware that support for this tool may suspend at any time if Google decides to block its use.-----"

link

still the best e-mail service for free :)

Jun 2, 05 7:16 am  · 
 · 
Martinsson

^ for gmail drive fans

Jun 2, 05 7:19 am  · 
 · 
stainB

anyone using mozilla thunderbird to access their gmail?

i downloaded the instruction from gmail FAQ but still couldn't figure how to send email... i did managed to retreive email from gmail.

Jun 8, 05 11:18 am  · 
 · 
Martinsson
Jun 9, 05 3:39 am  · 
 · 
Martinsson

check this instructions again (steps 10-14)

link

Jun 9, 05 3:46 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: