Archinect
anchor

pdfs portfolios via email- file sizes!!

spiderdad

im trying to email samples from portfolio via email... i've got 4 slides in powerpoint, im struggling to "print" out a screen resolution pdf file that's fairly small...
the lowest i can get it to is about 20mb...

any ideas, anyone?
thanks for your help...

May 26, 05 10:52 am
gerhard

what kind of a portfolio is this? for a computer software firm? why would you ever do it an architectural portfolio in powerpoint?

try again in illustrator or indesign. it'll look better and your file size will shrink.

May 26, 05 11:39 am  · 
 · 
Luis Fraguada

In Design . . . optimize images . . . then try reducing file size in Acrobat and try to reach a good balance between image quality and file size. I made a 70 page document with heavy, perhaps even "fancy" graphics and it is about 20mb.

May 26, 05 11:42 am  · 
 · 
e

4 slides that are 20mbs? are these slides all photoshop? how are they created?

you can always make the slides smaller, decrease the resolution [if pixel based], or compress the images more. you may also try zipping/stuffing the file to see if you can reduce the file size a little.

the problem is you need to reduce it a lot. a lot of ppl have 5mb caps on email. i would think most larger firms only have a 5mb cap. some, like myself, have 10mb caps. you also have a cap on what you are a loud to send. do you know what that is?

May 26, 05 11:45 am  · 
 · 

wisof: I love fancy graphics

May 26, 05 11:51 am  · 
 · 
gerhard

powerpoint is designed to create ugly slideshows for corporate drones. now maybe that's what you're applying for, in which case, by all means!

but it's really the wrong tool for the wrong job. apart from no serviceable layout tools, it has massive file bloat.

just what kind of job is this? why would you use powerpoint?

May 26, 05 11:51 am  · 
 · 
trace™

I got my portfolio that was used for email down to about 600-800kbs, that's with about 20-25 page size images. I used Freehand for the layout and compression and exported as a PDF.

Problem is that a lot of firms just print out your port from the email, so the images you have on file there are crap. I'd suggest sending prints, at least to places you care more about. But if it's just samples, you should be able to 1. send a pdf that is less than a meg 2. send individual jpegs that are 50-200kbs or so, depending on how many.

Just remember, people are not patient and don't want to download for long. For 20 mbs I'd be expecting a nice showreel.

May 26, 05 11:52 am  · 
 · 
soulsurfer

Just use Adobe Distiller. With just 4 slides you´ll get a much smaller image size then just exporting it as a PDF. You don´t have to redo the Layout in another program such as Illustrator - with the Distiller you can just "print" it in a PDF from Powerpoint.
But I agree with the other ones here, that powerpoint isn´t the right program for layouting, of course...

good luck with your application

May 26, 05 12:32 pm  · 
 · 
and/or

Besides all the reformatting/optimizing part, I would suggest keeping the attachements in the simplest format you can -jpeg is good.

But the most effective way would be to just email a link to your work online. It also seems more professional than clugging one's mailbox.

May 26, 05 1:26 pm  · 
 · 
A Center for Ants?

if it's a PDF for use on a monitor, reduce the res. i think default in Acrobat is 300 dpi? which is way more than you need for screen display...

May 26, 05 1:28 pm  · 
 · 
trace™

yeah, 72 dpi will work fine

May 26, 05 1:48 pm  · 
 · 
qunqing

some HRs like to have a hard copy of your application by printing out your email and attachment. so sending your online work link sometimes isn't the easiest way for them, I think.

May 26, 05 11:16 pm  · 
 · 
LenaV

but why POWER POINT!?
Gerhard is right about it being a silly program capable of only producing cheesy presentations, especially the animation bits, ugh!

It also produces uneccesarily huge PDFs whenever you try to print. What you can do, however is the following:

If you have illustrator, go to the slide you want PDF'd and select all. Since all images are embedded, they'll be copied in their original dpi. Then just paste in illustrator. All images will be their own objects, and text will be vectorized, as far as I remember, so you won't be able to edit from Illustrator. But, you can specify the PDF quality better and save as an e-booklet and what not, and significantly reduce the file size!

Now go get the Adobe CS Package, it'll save your life!

May 26, 05 11:39 pm  · 
 · 
and/or

true qunqing, but whatever HRs like or not, clicking a link to view one's work as a webpage and/or printing its content is a much smoother experience than opening a large attachement.
if HRs like to have a hard copy, mail them a very hard copy.

and yes, anything coming out of powerpoint is hardly attractive. good luck.

May 27, 05 12:22 am  · 
 · 
wreckingball

I have an several portfolios that I submit depending on the recipient. My PDF portfolio was converted from In Design and I use it for on-line use only. It is emailed to prospective clients or employers and has been successful at 72 DPI. I secure the PDF so printing is not allowed by the recipient. This security feature is an option when creating PDF's from In Design. If I need to send out high quality hard copies I print directly from In Design and ship snail mail.

May 27, 05 1:07 am  · 
 · 
Luis Fraguada

yeah, that is my process as well wreckingball. Also with InDesign you can make custom PDF presets to export out in whatever manner pleases you.

May 27, 05 11:03 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: