Archinect
anchor

object fetish

gerhard

Help, consumer goods are so ugly looking in the US.

I need a cordless phone that doesn't look like it was designed in a high school industrial design class. It should have decent reception too.

The old siemens gigaset ( see http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=41360&item=5776260919&rd=1 for example ) looked good in an ulm school way but reception was iffy. or was it just my model?

help please.

May 25, 05 1:23 pm
gerhard

isn't there any modernism for everyman left anymore? i don't want to look pretentious. just not like a fool.

May 25, 05 2:00 pm  · 
 · 
hckybg

i had one of those gigasets and it was horrible - most conversations would be interrupted by a strange skipping noise in the middle and I could no longer be heard (although I had no idea that I couldn't so would just talk and talk). so, i threw that in the closet, and bought a 30 dollar cordless phone/answering machine set with a 20 dollar rebate at best buy and stuck it in my bookshelf so it isn't in the middle of the room. is it beautiful? no. is it ugly? no, not bad. just very utilitarian (and cheap!) sometimes form (and price) trumps function, and then its not worth it.

May 25, 05 2:10 pm  · 
 · 
driftwood

Go to a Target store.

May 25, 05 3:50 pm  · 
 · 
gerhard

i went to target, i went to best buy. i guess i could stick the thing in a drawer but is that the only option?

May 25, 05 8:31 pm  · 
 · 
driftwood

Get a cell and drop the land line.

May 25, 05 9:03 pm  · 
 · 
mmm3

people still use landlines? i guess because I live in a big city and can't imagne the use for that kind of line, i feel disconnected from my roots. Then again, when I have to tell my kid that I was around before the internet (ha PPP accounts)

In the business world you need it for faxing (if only contractors would get up to speed) and thats it. Hell, get a nice VOIP setup. Who are you people with landlines?

May 25, 05 10:49 pm  · 
 · 
sameolddoctor

the best type of landline is the old school wired-to-the jack ones

May 25, 05 11:38 pm  · 
 · 
gerhard

i live in a big city, but i don't own a single-family home. i rent an apartment. that means an intercom and this intercom requires a land line. i've thought about the wired to the jack idea, but for various reasons, it's not going to work out. UNLESS someone can tell find me one of those cordless jacks, but i hear that those work worse than a siemens unit.

May 26, 05 12:48 am  · 
 · 
oscar bon

Just my 2 cents...

It is pricey, but I wholeheartedly reccomend the Beocom 6000. I've gotten crystal clear reception 2 blocks from my house, and never had any problems with it. You get about 4 days standby battery life out of the cradle. The shaft-encoded select wheel (PRE-Ipod, mind you) is truely excellent. Weight, keys and overall feel are top-notch. After a few falls, the handset housing has proven to be durable and scratch resistant (however the brushed aluminum base picks up fingerprint oils like none other - just dont touch it).I felt the base design was a little ostentatious at first, but I've grown to love it. I'm sure there are the obligatory B&O bashers here (I am not too fond of their latest wall mount stereo myself), but the bottom line is that this phone works, and it will last you for years. Period.

May 26, 05 12:05 pm  · 
 · 
e

heh, i still don't own a cell. i just haven't found the need for ppl getting a hold of me all the time and spending even money on more phones. i couldn't give up my land line until the sound quality and connectivity improves on cells. i just don't need to apologize to a potential client for for the bad connection or for getting disconnected. until then...

May 26, 05 12:37 pm  · 
 · 
gerhard

but no cheap-ass solution? i have an old sanyo that i liked, but it's hard to get a batter for it. you'd think there'd be a lot of money in phones.

May 26, 05 3:25 pm  · 
 · 

the money is probably in selling you a cell (and a 'plan') to replace your old cordless...

May 26, 05 3:36 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

i do skype

May 26, 05 8:22 pm  · 
 · 
jejuneie

if you can afford it : Vertu.

May 27, 05 1:35 am  · 
 · 
gerhard

vertu? ow! I guess that's the problem with design today. we can't make something that looks decent and costs little, we have to make something that looks awful and cost a lot.

May 27, 05 2:45 am  · 
 · 
vado retro

its just a freakin phone man

May 27, 05 7:16 am  · 
 · 
gerhard

it's evidence of the decline of our civilization and the meaningless of design in our culture.

May 27, 05 10:12 am  · 
 · 
jejuneie

To the idiot concerned about the decline in civilization why dont you design a phone. No wait you actually can't design a phone nor do you know what the hell your talking about because you sir are apart of the decline.

May 28, 05 1:41 am  · 
 · 
gerhard

smoking dope again, sweetheart?

May 29, 05 3:11 am  · 
 · 
jejuneie

hey fagot when your done sucking your dads cack why don't you open up a design book. siemens gigaset? thats laughable.

May 29, 05 3:28 am  · 
 · 
gerhard

so you're going to be at sci-arc next year, sweetheart? well, we'll have fun.

May 29, 05 3:51 am  · 
 · 
jejuneie

woah someone must have taken the fag statement to heart. haha i'm glad you looked me up and did searches that is so flattering. i was thinking fagboy gerhard what ever you like to call yourself perhaps a pink phone would suite you best. i'm sure you know where all the good queer stores are so i won't list any. good luck.

May 29, 05 12:22 pm  · 
 · 
urbanunplanner
May 29, 05 1:04 pm  · 
 · 
jejuneie

LOL

May 29, 05 1:06 pm  · 
 · 
urbanunplanner

I learned a long time ago not to mess with Gerhard.
He can be really rough. *sob*

May 29, 05 1:16 pm  · 
 · 
gerhard

now that's a nice phone, urbanunplanner.

and yes, anyone who's homophobic is going to have a very unhappy time at sci-arc, especially in 1ga.

May 30, 05 2:04 am  · 
 · 
jejuneie

hey cheese dick if you were qualified enough to be at Columbia i might see you there. but your not so enjoy west hollywood.

May 30, 05 2:16 am  · 
 · 
sameolddoctor

hey jejuneie...please shut the fuck up..you will have this thread killed asshole

May 30, 05 3:29 am  · 
 · 
jejuneie

Please mind your on business I see you still have bent feelings on the whole blue collar thread grow up. This thread was killed from the mindless question it posed in the first place from a fat middle aged moron who has no design taste or knowledge.

May 30, 05 1:41 pm  · 
 · 
Janosh

Jejuneie - post your portfolio so we can all be awed by your creative superiority.

May 30, 05 1:47 pm  · 
 · 
urbanunplanner

Dont worry there sweetness - designers are kind of like the Spanish legal system: Gay until proven otherwise. The fact that a 'designer' was asking a question of asthetic in a forum means that he/she or heshe doesn't have a concrete understanding of what it takes to be a designer. He's probably just online to meet fellow gaychitects. Allow me to demonstrate:

May 30, 05 3:11 pm  · 
 · 
urbanunplanner

by popular demand, a repost:

May 30, 05 9:46 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: