Archinect
anchor

In L.A. for a day

popeye

I will be in L.A. for a day at the end of the week. I would like to rent a car and take a look at the city. Are there any notworthy streets or routes that one could take to see some nice scenery or interesting parts of the city?

May 24, 05 10:12 pm
citizen

Wilshire Boulevard from downtown to the ocean; then Sunset Boulevard from the beach back downtown. You'll see an amazing amount of architecture, urbanism, tourist attractions, and urban life all in only 3-4 hours.

May 24, 05 10:20 pm  · 
 · 
popeye

thanks a lot citizen. could you recommend a good restaurant to hit along the way?

May 24, 05 10:27 pm  · 
 · 
citizen

Lunch at Gladstone's-4-Fish at Sunset and Pacific Coast Highway. Incredibly touristy, but good food, right on your way, and there aren't that many restaurant decks hanging out over the sand.

Finish off with a dinner of great tacos at Cielito Lindo. This is the end of the tour near Sunset's terminus at Alameda St. It's at the north end of Olvera Street --a prime example of an invented street/themed environment built by Anglo elites in the 1920s.

Have a great time!

May 24, 05 10:33 pm  · 
 · 
too degrading

I'd go for Ivy at the Shore in Santa Monica for a taste of that LA awfulness that no one (including moi) cannot take their eyes off

May 25, 05 1:12 am  · 
 · 
R.A. Rudolph

more restaurants:
west side
alejo's - great hearty italian/argentinian (I think- lots of garlic) on Lincoln at Washington, which is close to LAX
or La Cabana, on Rose just north of Lincoln (maybe 1/2 mile north of Alejo's, also close to LAX) - supposedly the Eames favorite restaurant (Mexican)

east side
Pho Cafe (I think this is the name), 'new' vietnamese noodles etc. in a strip mall on the north side of Sunset just east of Silverlake blvd & Parkman
El 7 Mares, also on the north side of Sunset in Silverlake (a few blocks west of Silverlake Blvd.)

Bar at the Standard Hotel downtown would be a nice place to have a late afternoon/ early evening drink poolside. You can park in the parking lot of the downtown Library for less - the Standard parking lot charges $15 or something...

May 25, 05 1:19 am  · 
 · 
R.A. Rudolph

El 4 mares is mexican/seafood - best fish tacos ever!

May 25, 05 1:20 am  · 
 · 
FOG Lite

I thought global warming was supposed to make more oceans....

May 25, 05 3:54 pm  · 
 · 
el jeffe

grab a drink at Encounter at LAX on your way out....

May 25, 05 4:18 pm  · 
 · 
Smokety Mc Smoke Smoke

food:
picholine on 1st and beverly (between filipinotown and koreatown)
brite spot cafe (sunset bl. in echo park)
astroburger (santa monica and gardner in w. hollywood or melrose and wilton in hollywood)

fatburger > in-n-out

remember that

May 25, 05 4:37 pm  · 
 · 
A Center for Ants?

the habit > fatburger

limited locales... i have to venture to the scary valley to get my fix

i second picholine (amazing chocolate)

ricks on main st. santa monica has great deal tues/thurs for $4 1/2 lb. burgers.

skooby's hot dogs on hollywood in hollywood. (1000 times better thank pinks)

bay street deli, lincoln, blvd. santa monica.

drive one of the canyon roads to/from the valley. topanga, mullholland or something like that. cruise the pasadena fwy through downtown all the way to pasadena.

go to the observatory at night in the park.

3rd street promenade in santa monica at night for the psychic cat

May 25, 05 5:08 pm  · 
 · 
A Center for Ants?

oh crap! father's office in santa monica on montana.

best beer selection and best burger i've ever had in my life. it's an experience. expect it to be very crowded and you gotta fight for a seat

May 25, 05 5:09 pm  · 
 · 
Jeremy

Drive 3rd street, from downtown (start at Sci-Arc, at the LA river) all the way to the westside, or vice-versa. I think that is the best cross section of as many LA neighborhoods as you can get. Stop to explore often.

May 25, 05 5:41 pm  · 
 · 
sterling hall

check out the camera obscura, if you are a deleuzian fan > @ santa monica sr. ctr. [ocean + @ arizona ave].

it is quite unique.

+ @ fathers office - get some sweet potatoe fries.

May 25, 05 6:45 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: