Archinect
anchor

portfolio images from a firm I left

db

what is the protocol for including and showing images of projects i worked on and was lead designer for at a firm I'm no longer with -- in public lectures, to prospective cients, and in my portfolio of work?

I've maintained an extremely amiable relationship with the firm and am now in academia, so it's not a competition issue, merely an ownership or use question.

that said, I should add that I don't yet have the images i want to include and need to approach the firm about acquiring them for my use. I'm hoping my good relationship will bode well, but they are a national firm with no lack of legal eagles calling the shots.

please advise. thanks.

May 24, 05 5:57 pm
ether

shouldn't be a problem db. just make sure they (the firm name) are included in any kind of credits. i'm sure they've had people ask for images before so there is probably some sort of protocol already set up.

May 24, 05 6:08 pm  · 
 · 
trace™

yeah, just give credit where it's due and everyone should be happy.
You could revist your contract, too. If they have a problem, try to sell them on the idea that it's free exposure, if they still don't go for it, just remember to back up your work in the future.

May 24, 05 8:39 pm  · 
 · 
eeayeeayo

If the firm is an AIA member firm and you left recently (+/- 9 months) the national AIA requires members to agree that the firm will allow recently departing employees to have images of projects that they worked on. If they refuse to allow this you can even get them "censured" officially by the AIA - this is one of the most commonly reported issues against members.
But: this AIA policy allows the firm to decide exactly what you can take, suggests that firms allow no digital files be taken, and allows the firm to charge you for all photographs, copies, etc.

It sounds like you have a good relationship with this firm so you won't have to get into all this rule stuff. However: make sure to check with the firm regarding your intended uses of the material you take. The firm may have confidentiality clauses with some of their clients that prohibit them from using images (sometimes just interior images or images of certain areas) or that prohibit identifying the client by name.

In any case, it is usually a good idea to remove the names of any private clients from anything that you use in your portfolio - and especially from anything that appears online. The firm may prefer that you remove their name as well.

May 24, 05 9:03 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: