Archinect
anchor

nice urban housing in philadelphia

3ifs

really nice contempo housing in an up and coming neighborhood in philadelphia. it is being developed by a team of young architects, some of which i went to school with. it is making me think that i have been wasting my time for the past 7 years.

www.ragflats.com

May 23, 05 10:13 am
eric_h

tim mcdonald is an f'ing prick, but they are nice places. who the hell is gonna pay half a million to live in fishtown though.

May 23, 05 1:21 pm  · 
 · 
3ifs

LMAO... its funny to see that someone else on here knows him.

i had no idea they were that expensive. :o

May 23, 05 2:12 pm  · 
 · 
honorthebrick

Is that what those places are going for? I looked throughout the site but found no pricing. I guess university city will be for me this fall. Fishtown is a bit far from Penn campus anyways.

May 23, 05 2:19 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

e-rizzy, with all respect, isn't the idea that projects like these will improve the neighborhood to the point that in ten years the owner will be able to say "And I only paid half a mill for it - in Fishtown!"

May 23, 05 2:28 pm  · 
 · 

Yes, the ragflats architecture is nice and refreshing for Philadelphia, but half a million does seem a lot for Fishtown (although Albert Barnes was born in Fishtown). Then again, real estate prices in Philadelphia are going crazy the last year or so. Friends of mine sold a 1920s twin in Manayunk for 125,000 in 2001, and the same place just sold for almost 250,000 in Fall 2004. The very generic Northeast Philadelphia 1970 twin across from my mother's in Fox Chase just sold for over 200,000. And rowhomes on my block in East Olney are now asking just over 100,000 (my parents bought my house in 1957 for 11,000).

The comments re Tim McD make me chuckle too.

May 23, 05 3:04 pm  · 
 · 
evilplatypus

There is hope after all.

May 23, 05 3:06 pm  · 
 · 
WMDjr

the term quotidian bricolage comes to mind

May 23, 05 3:24 pm  · 
 · 

Perhaps Philadelphia's vast housing stock has always been quotidian bricolage. If so, then welcome home ragflats.

bricolage: something made or put together using whatever materials happen to be available

quotidian: everyday; commonplace

May 23, 05 3:41 pm  · 
 · 
eric_h

i saw an ad for them in the philly weekly real estate section last week. i believe it said starting prices were like $475,000.

did everyone see that richard meier is going to be adding to the overpriced condo market too...

May 23, 05 4:49 pm  · 
 · 

And if you want to live a block away from where Benjamin Franklin flew a kite 15 June 1752 and proved that (his discovery of) electricity and lightening are the same thing...

May 23, 05 5:21 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

why do i want to drop a half mil on a one bedroom?

May 24, 05 7:23 am  · 
 · 
vado retro

also theres a place just like this in evanston illinoize

May 24, 05 7:24 am  · 
 · 

I don't think Philadelphia has any kind of monopoly on quotidian bricolage housing, but it might just have the longest running tradition of quotidian bricolage housing in the USA.

Maybe a one bedroom could fetch a half mil if it were hot rodded by museumpeace.

May 24, 05 9:20 am  · 
 · 
dragthelake

nothing there (ragflats) is a 1BR.

e-rizzy: tim mcd is a lot of things but i wouldnt go with "prick", and i even say that after having him as pretty much a pitbull on my leg last year as my thesis advisor, and after working on the rowhomes at ragflats with him.

May 24, 05 5:41 pm  · 
 · 
dragthelake

rita novel: but the comments did make me chuckle as well...

May 24, 05 5:42 pm  · 
 · 
3ifs

dragthelake, working on the design or the construction?

May 25, 05 10:04 am  · 
 · 
dragthelake

on the construction and some design issues which arised along the way of the 2 rowhomes as part of MINUS studios (www.minustudios.com) crew who were under the wing of OnionFlats.

May 26, 05 9:16 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: