Archinect
anchor

Italy

highrise

Anyone worked in Italy? How easy is it to find work and I assume language is necessity? Pretty flexible about where I'd like to go although Milan is the current leader.

Thanks.

May 23, 05 5:24 am
barbaric

I worked a summer in Rome in 2001. I presume if you're looking for jobs it makes a difference if it's for summer or full-time in availability and salary.

The funny thing was that on may 28ish, 29ish no one was replying to me whether they had spots or not. On june 1st, all 3 firms I looked at asked me to come for an interview (as if they woke up and said "whoa, summer is here already!").
As for the 3 firms, one was an international-level one and the other 2 were smaller firms. These 2 smaller ones were producing very very interesting stuff that I would have very much liked to work on, but they were kinda far from me AND one of them couldn't pay me at all (they did offer to lend me their scooter to go to work everyday though). I ended up opting to go to the bigger firm hoping to get the most experience with more than one project. It was a good experience, although pay was next-to-negligible.

Language is important but not crucial I think, especially in the bigger firms. Milano has more construction firms than architecture firms, but is a great choice nevertheless. Good luck hunting.

May 23, 05 7:48 am  · 
 · 
skylark

i am an italian architect: i graduated in 2003 at the university of florence, licensed in 2004, and i have worked for 3 years (never paid..for my joy!!!)
italy may be a good country to work and live but it all depends on what kind of experience you're looking for.
if your are looking for a dynamic and international environment..i can tell you to go to rome or milan, and even there it will be a hard deal for money.
some young firms are really cool over here, but they barely build anything..it's too long to explain why, but if you take a look to magazines will soon find out who are the usual suspects that always build or win contests.
at the link below
http://architettura.supereva.com/architetti/italia.htm
you can find a list of italian firms: not all of them pay though!
for more information, you can contact me!
as for the language, dont worry that much, you'll always find someone that speaks english...or a funny, italian version of it!!!
Good luck!

May 24, 05 6:15 am  · 
 · 
jones

sky, what's the procedure for becoming a licensed architect in Italy? you mentioned graduating in 03' and getting your license the year after....is this because you already did some sort of internship while in school (or before school)? does italy have the american equivalent to ncarb?

highrise---I'm envious! you should have no problem finding work---pay, no lo so... I went to school in Italy in 93' and found then that romans were the most hospitable people around---if you are open to a creative situation regarding a place to live, you shouldn't have a problem finding something. I taught English in exchange for a room to stay after school was done. Happy adventures!!!

May 24, 05 11:09 am  · 
 · 
skylark

jones, the procedure for becoming licensed architect in italy is pretty different from the US one and it is also under transformation.
People like me, who got the 5yrs degree in architecture dont need to undertake professional practice before taking the license exam. Most of us has experience anyway because we work before graduating, but since firms dont pay, neither us nor state taxes for us, and consequently dont register us, it would be almost impossible here to ask for a three year practical training like they do in US for you.
Now that our university system has changed and students get a general degree in 3 yrs and a specialty in the following 2, they introduced the rule of 1yr practical training before signing for the exam.

As for Ncarb, i wouldnt want to say something wrong..but if i well understand the difference between AIA and Ncarb...yes we have two similar organizations here.
We have the Ordine degli Architetti, which should be the equivalent of your AIA, organized as our territorial provinces: we are obliged to register to it and pay taxes to them, after the license, if we want to sign our projects. OdA is devoted to architects only: they rule the profession and monitor the professionists' works.
Your Ncarb is probably the equivalent of our CNA (consiglio nazionale architetti) which is both at the service of architects and public.

i hope it makes sense...not simple to explain this stuff!!!

May 24, 05 12:23 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: