Archinect
anchor

how to deal with a cheating studiomate?

trace™

I agree that a first year should do all the work, it's essential they learn to make things. However, this topic started with a student getting another to build "create the site model for his final project. " That doesn't sound like modeling that needs craft, and this is computer related anyhow (I believe).

Was this first year? I didn't see that in the postings, but could have missed it. I know I've had people help me with animations, with this or that, and I've done the same.

At UCLA they encourage the first years to help with thesis projects. What comes around goes around, and it pays off. Hmmm, maybe not, I don't recall getting help on my thesis!

Stealing a diagram should not be tolerated. However, it better be the exact diagram, not an interpretation, etc., etc. I know that many of my diagrams could have been interpreted as someone else's and vice versa. Plagerism, when it comes to design, is entirely subjective (unless it is the EXACT design, with NOTHING different). Look at all the blobs, they all look more or less the same to me but I know that they are different (ok, I think they are different). Same goes for the million Meier-esque designs.

This is why it's best left to the faculty. They've seen it all before, and can judge things more objectively. In my experience, 9 times out of 10, nothing will happen.

May 27, 05 3:39 pm  · 
 · 

trace,
yup, way, way far up, the author said, "this is a first year UG studio so the emphasis is on the model itself". So I think that BOTH issues in this are out of line.

May 27, 05 6:13 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: