Archinect
anchor

Star Wars Architecture

swisscardlite

Any comments on the architecture of Star Wars? Good? Bad?

May 20, 05 1:15 am
Luis Fraguada

Reminded me of Paolo Soleri and Arcosanti . . . The stuff on the lava planet I have seen before though, totally unoriginal, still cool.

May 20, 05 1:25 am  · 
 · 
driftwood

The very idea of a city covering an entire planet is...

Fascinating. Boggles the mind.

Oddly enough, I didn't see anything by Gerhy.

May 20, 05 2:43 am  · 
 · 
Israel Kandarian

the disparity between the level of detail between interior and exterior spaces is glaring. exterior sets are pretty enticing, while interior sets are mostly bad furniture and even worse carpet patterns. padme's apartment kind of reminded me of a wynn hotel room.

May 20, 05 10:31 am  · 
 · 
3ifs

LOL @ driftwood's gehry comment...

i would think that the disparity between interior and exterior is due to the extensive use of CGI on the exterior sets. CGI basically means anything is possible, whereas the interiors are limited by todays fabrication techniques... either that or the INTERIOR DESIGNERS SUCKed.

May 20, 05 10:38 am  · 
 · 
el jeffe

interiors & exteriors are unrelated?
of course gehry was there...

May 20, 05 11:09 am  · 
 · 
LenaV

Is there anyone else out there who shares my abounding enthusiasm for the Star Wars saga?

I need to go see Revenge of the Sith again. Why, Anakin, why!?!?!?!?!

May 20, 05 11:59 am  · 
 · 
momentum

i'd have to agree with driftwood that the idea of a city covering an entir planet is great. i just can't see how it is possible. aside from the fact there are basically no forrests/plants to make air (probably done by some generator in the future) the heat from all the people, exhaust, metal, etc. would make the planet unbearable on the outdoors. still cool though. way to go cgi.

May 20, 05 12:03 pm  · 
 · 
momentum

oh, and does anyone think its great that they were running an advertisement for spaceballs on the star wars site.

May 20, 05 12:07 pm  · 
 · 
Jordan Lloyd

Someone needs to get hold of the 1978 Chewbacca Xmas special cartoon.

May 20, 05 12:11 pm  · 
 · 
driftwood

Haha! Nice, el jeffe.

momentum, it's just a matter of scale. If you've got an economy and the resources to support it opperating at a nearly limitless scale--a galactic one in the fictional Star Wars universe--then anything is possible. Urban environments are very much their own ecosystems, so it's fun to imagine their potential as something as healthy and self-sustaining as a 'natural' environment, though. Where the 'waste' of one urban process ends up being the air needed to breathe or the water needed to drink.

And cartoon? The only Star Wars X-Mas Special was live action and involved a heavily intoxicated (in several ways) Carrier Fisher stumbling about and slurring her words.

May 20, 05 12:29 pm  · 
 · 

i don't remember whether it was christmas or other, but i remember making ewok voices for weeks after the ewok tv special. i drove my family crazy, i'm sure.

May 20, 05 1:19 pm  · 
 · 

and to get this back to star wars architecture: their tree houses rocked. all ropes and bridges and hangy vines.

May 20, 05 1:20 pm  · 
 · 
mauOne™

i love star wars, and i would love it more if none of these "movie stars" were in it, bad actors and bad acting are ok if they are unknown like in the first 3, acting was very bad then, but it didnt matter, but now, listening to that BOZO who plays darth is pathetic, otherwise it is an awsome flick, i too think that the city planet is the coolest thing

May 20, 05 2:39 pm  · 
 · 
JG

Jabba's palace always reminded me of Wrights Marin County Convention Center.

img]http://scifi3d.theforce.net/images/wip/wip_jabbapalace_sml.jpg[/img]

May 20, 05 4:46 pm  · 
 · 
JG

...jabba's palace

May 20, 05 4:47 pm  · 
 · 
symmetry

The senate council meeting room was pretty awesome.

May 22, 05 3:59 pm  · 
 · 
symmetry

you guys know (or can guess) what program they use to do the cityscape?

May 22, 05 4:00 pm  · 
 · 
the righteous fist

i don't think it's scaled/lit very well, there was one moment in the film when obi wan went up a hangar lift, which arrived on a floor with overlooking windows and i thought he had suddenly become a giant when compared to the army of droids below. the interior looks like a shopping mall, plastic marble with rampant bevelling routed by contractor younglings.

May 22, 05 6:05 pm  · 
 · 
driftwood

So THAT'S why they were all slaughtered!

I guess the Emperor isn't fond of shopping mall [not to be confused with life style centers] interiors.

May 23, 05 1:05 am  · 
 · 
barbaric

Call me an old-timer, but it's all about the DEATH STAR.....

May 23, 05 8:09 am  · 
 · 
Jordan Lloyd

The Chewbacca Xmas special was only aired once. Ever. George Lucas thought it was so bad he made sure it would never see the light of day again.

May 23, 05 8:16 am  · 
 · 
eeee

Hayden Christensen is set to quit acting to become an architect. The Star Wars actor says he plans to swap the big screen for building design - because the movie industry doesn't excite him anymore.

He told Britain's The Sun newspaper: "Maybe the new Star Wars will be my last movie. "I don't find Hollywood interesting, so I'm thinking about studying architecture instead."

May 29, 05 5:19 pm  · 
 · 
heller high water

that would bring new meaning to 'starchitect.' oh!

May 29, 05 7:32 pm  · 
 · 
Kimwatts

I allways look at the couches.  Seating seams generally radius curves.  Half round.  No sharp edges.  Beige and white. Elyptical seating range may work commercially? Tricky in small spaces.

Apr 6, 17 7:26 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: