Archinect
anchor

the oregon coast.

i am looking to take a trip right after labor day once all the kiddies are back in school. some friends and i are thinking about heading to the oregon coast for 5-6 days. i would like to keep it under a 7 hour drive from seattle so that limits it to mostly the northern and central coast.

does anyone have some good recommendations of places to go and why? thoughts about things to see/do, places to eat, and places to stay also welcome.

May 16, 05 8:21 pm
heterarch

har. some friends and i are actually going to be in the hood river area for a wedding around labor day weekend. i'll be interested to see what pops up on this thread too..
i've heard the hood river area is a bit touristy, so i'm wondering if we'll be able to escape the traps at all easily.
definitely want to get as much of an impression of the region as i can while i'm out there. considering the area as a place to move after grad school..

May 16, 05 9:49 pm  · 
 · 
Alan Loomis

If you are in the Portland area, make the drive up to Timberline Lodge on Mt Hood. It's a magnificent building. Portland in general is worth a day or two - there is not any particularily stunning architecture to check out, but overall its a very livable and pleasant city. 15th Street above downtown is where all the upscale sidewalk action is; go across the river into the loft district for the rock clubs and bars. If you can afford the day drive off the coast, also make the diversion to Crater Lake - which is of course one the natural wonders of America, and also has some magnificent lodge architecture (be sure to check out the Park Admin building in addition to the Hotel). And if you are coming to/from Seattle, driving up to Mt St Helens is wild - 20 years after the explosion and the place still looks like the moon.

May 16, 05 10:03 pm  · 
 · 
Jr.

e--are you looking for good camping sites, motels, or...? Do you want to go hiking? I've spent a whole lotta time out on the coast. I could load you down w/information that covers the area north of Florence up to Seaside, but it might help to narrow it down if you have a general idea of what to do.

You could start up in Astoria--I think it's about a three and a half hour drive from Seattle via Longview?--and head south from there. It's only about 30 miles south of Astoria to Cannon Beach. Or, you could head west on Sunset Highway out of Portland, takes you straight to Cannon Beach. I think that would be closer to a five hour drive from Seattle.

Camping near Astoria, you could try Fort Stevens State Park (you can reserve some State Park camping spots online). If you want to camp south of Cannon Beach, there's the Nehalem Bay State Park (pretty developed), Cape Lookout State Park near Tillamook (moderately developed) and Oswald West State Park (more primitive). Lots more, but if you're planning on staying in a motel, that won't do you any good!

Seaside is kind of interesting, it has an "old-timey" resort feel. The last time I was there, the real saltwater taffy store was still in operation (most places buy it from a supplier, but that store makes it own). A nice promenade for evening strolls.

Newport has a really, really nice aquarium (even without Keiko).

Tillamook has the cheese factory, but it is one huge tourist trap now. It gives me hives just pulling into the parking lot. On the other hand, the ice cream is good.

Are you into skateboarding? Drive through the very small town of Nehalem and eat at the Nehalem Dock Restaurant. It's owned by Tom "Wally" Inouye (Pool Service). Lots of cool boards on the walls, and last time we were there, he was there chatting. Pretty awesome.

Lincoln City really is a good kite-flying spot, it's not just hype. We didn't go there too much because of the traffice (outlet mall city!), but when we did, we always took the kite. The bed and breakfasts tend to be more expensive there (compared to say, Yachats), but that's because the beach is really accessible.

Anyway, if you want me to be more specific, I can. I can recommend some hiking trails if you want, too.

May 16, 05 10:07 pm  · 
 · 
Jr.

heterarchy--do you windsurf? All the windsurfing you want on the Gorge in Hood River.

One of the funniest billboards I've ever seen was in Hood River last summer. John Kerry was going to be there for a campaign speech, and they put up a "Welcome John Kerry" sign w/him in a wet suit, windsurfing. I wish I had taken a picture of it.

Holstein's has good coffee (my opinion).

Oh...the best breakfast...Columbia Gorge Hotel.

If you have time, you could tour the Bonneville Dam, it's pretty interesting. Not too far of a drive to Maryhill, the museum is worth a visit. Also visit the fake Stonehenge by Maryhill. When I was a kid, I thought it was the real Stonehenge.

Lots of waterfalls in the area (mostly Oregon side). Multnomah Falls is the most famous. Don't get hit by a falling rock.

We liked to drive on the old highway (south and above freeway running along the river)--scenic, great views.

May 16, 05 10:19 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

Good rundown, snjr. The only thing I'll add is take warm clothes! Even Labor Day can get nippy and wet. But the coast is so beautiful it's worth it.

May 16, 05 10:48 pm  · 
 · 
NSJ

Many of Oregon's state parks have yurts. Sort of a nice option if you don't want to shell out for a B&B or pitch the tent. We stayed in a nice one near Coos Bay.

May 16, 05 11:48 pm  · 
 · 
driftwood

There's a pretty decent selection of vineyards in the area too, but that's more of an interior sort of drive. Fun nonetheless, though, and full of 'exotic' architecture.

One, King Edward or something, has this ridiculous, gigantic, medieval/Renaissance style and completely artificial monastery main building. But not 100 yards away is simply one of the most spectacular pioneer cemeteries I've ever had the pleasure of viewing.

May 17, 05 1:50 am  · 
 · 
heterarch

wow, great info.

May 17, 05 8:13 am  · 
 · 
A

Be sure to visit the Rouge brewery in Newport, OR. The best thing I've seen on the OR coast.

May 17, 05 8:50 am  · 
 · 
Andrew Kudless

I really like the Cape Kiwanda area on the Oregon coast. Big sand dunes, giant rocks, not too many people. It's about a 1.5 hour drive from portland.

May 17, 05 10:44 am  · 
 · 
liberty bell

Oh, ditto that, Andrew. Cape Kiwanda is a gorgous place, you can hike up the dune and see an amazing view, or play around in the tidepools at the base, lots of starfish and sea urchins and whatnot. Bring aquasocks.

May 17, 05 10:59 am  · 
 · 
e

not so interested in portland so much this time. i'm looking more towards the coast, but crater lake was a good alternative. thx alan.

snjr, given my other friends that i will be traveling with, they are not looking to rough it. i think a nice cabin or house would be the best situation for this trip. immersed in nature is preferred. waterfalls, yes. and yes, hiking. near a town in not really necessary but would be nice for options to eat out once or twice. beach to walk along is always good too.

the camping tips i will save for later this summer as i would like to camp in the area. most of my camping has been on some what primitive spots on the olympic peninsula, out towards index, wa, and the east coast.

many thx to all of you and keep em coming.

May 17, 05 10:59 am  · 
 · 
Jr.

Let me think about cabins for a few hours. The last three cabins we rented were south of where you probably want to be (south of Yachats and Florence). Nice, but you probably don't want to waste all your time driving so far south.

In Cannon Beach, I have stayed at the Tolovana Inn. This is a condo, but it has nice beach access, easy to get to www.oregonstateparks.org/park_188.php]Ecola State Park. There's a trail there (5-6 miles) that gives you a view of the lighthouse at Tillamook. I can't remember the name of the trail off the top of my head (Tillamook Trail?), but it's the one Lewis and Clark used.

In Seaside, we've stayed in a rental house with this company, but taking a quick look, it seems like "sleeps six adults" is their standard size. I really like Seaside, it's quieter than Lincoln City.

May 17, 05 11:57 am  · 
 · 
Jr.

Screwed that up, sorry. That link should have been:

Ecola State Park.

May 17, 05 11:58 am  · 
 · 
liberty bell

snjr, going back into the gorge: isn't there a Brad Cloepfil concrete installation on the grounds at Maryhill? I recall it being pretty cool. And the fake Stonhenge is hilarious.

May 17, 05 12:07 pm  · 
 · 
Jr.

Yes, I forgot! It's out on the edge of the garden. You could skateboard off the thing right into the Gorge. It would be pretty cool until you died.

It reminds me of something Donald Judd might have built.

May 17, 05 12:21 pm  · 
 · 
whistler

Whistler! Crowds have gone and weather is always pretty good in September. Good rates, lots of outdoor activities, cheap Canadian Peso and 5 hr drive from Seattle. Don't come for the Architecture but stop in Vancouver and have a great time, lots to see in Vancouver. They don't call it Vangroovy for nothing.

May 17, 05 12:29 pm  · 
 · 
e

another good thought whistler. i've been a few time, but not that time of the year. what are the temps like? i assume hiking, but what else is there to do in the area?

i must say, one of the most beautiful drives i've seen is the trek between vancouver and whistler.

May 17, 05 12:38 pm  · 
 · 
tinydancer

sea to sky highway is the best.

May 17, 05 1:30 pm  · 
 · 
pencrush

I would recommend staying outside of Canon Beach or Seaside.. tourist traps.. you can go into those places for food or groceries, but I wouldn't recommend staying there. There are some nice towns just south of Canon Beach (manzanita is one, I think) that should be less crowded. You should check out Haystack rock (at Canon) but you don't need to spend tons of time there. There are plenty of national parks along the coast (almost all of them with hiking..) you might check this out to see some listings.

The dunes are really cool, but I think they might be a little too far south for you.. I think you should be able to find good housing listed online. I've stayed with multiple people in a large house in a smaller town, it shouldn't be too hard to locate.

May 17, 05 1:36 pm  · 
 · 
Jr.

heterarchy--my partner was just looking for somewhere to go hiking along the gorge and came up w/this web page. Might help you on you Hood River options:

http://www.gorgeexplorer.com/hiking_waterfalls.htm

Jun 6, 05 2:48 pm  · 
 · 
raj

kinda not the oregon coast...but well worth the visit. if you are not heading over to finland...check out the mount angel library.

http://www.mtangel.edu/library/index.html

i even forced my wife's family to go there and they enjoyed it (non archie's)....

Jun 6, 05 3:16 pm  · 
 · 
chupacabra

school rankings

Jun 6, 05 3:19 pm  · 
 · 
chupacabra

uh, nevermind.

Jun 6, 05 3:20 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: