Archinect
anchor

L.A. Wages?

kolohe

Does anyone have an idea of how much architects with 6-10 yrs experience are making in Los Angeles these days?

May 16, 05 8:10 am
Janosh

What kind of firm? Are you licensed?

May 16, 05 10:33 am  · 
 · 

Check out the salary poll to your left, which shows you what a wide, wide range is offered in LA. There can be a $20,000 difference between the salaries of people with equal qualifications. So I'll pass on some words of wisdom from my pro-practice teacher - "You'll get whatever salary you can ask for with a straight face".

May 16, 05 11:16 am  · 
 · 
kolohe

I'd like to find a small to medium sized office with a moderate focus on design to work for.
I'm not licensed yet, but have 10 years of experience on the east and west coasts, a few years in the mid west as well as several years overseas. Rationalist, does the area of the city or type of work have any bearing on the wage variance you mentioned?

May 17, 05 12:03 am  · 
 · 
R.A. Rudolph

smaller, more design oriented = less money
larger, more institutional/industrial/commercial = more money
Doesn't account for all the differences, but in general these are the trends. The only people I know making above average money at smaller firms either started out at one of the first employees, are friends with the principals, or are considered indispensable for any number of reasons (perceived 'design' genius, connections, detailed knowledge of a particular specialty (such as restoring Neutra houses), etc.

May 17, 05 1:15 pm  · 
 · 

Kolohe, I can't see a trend in area. I think, as Rudolph said, it has more to do with the size of the firm. But I would argue that it's slightly different that he proposed - that large corporate firms make up the middle ground, and small firms generate the highs and lows. Large firms know the industry standards better and often have a standardized what a person at a certain level will be paid there, whereas with small firms they either can't afford much, or can be suseptible to negotiations because they are less sure of exactly how much you're worth. I recently got hired at a small firm for more than many other people in my graduating class, and have previously worked at other small firms for both great and terrible money.

May 17, 05 3:08 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: