Archinect
anchor

Underqualified and applying for jobs + becoming qualified

k80k

There is a job posting for a company I want to work for however I am under-qualified, specifically in 3D computer program knowledge.

What are your thoughts on applying for jobs that you aren't fully qualified for (program knowledge, exact experience requirements)? 

Should I learn more 3d programs even though I don't really want a job where I will be doing lots of 3d work? Or just keep hoping for a job that doesn't require lots of 3d work...

Sep 2, 11 1:56 pm
toasteroven

I'd apply - you can always tell them that you feel confident that you would be able to learn said software pretty quickly (especially if you have some 3D experience) - or that you'd like to have a chance to learn how to use it in a production environment.  maybe there's something else you can point out that might compensate for lack of other kinds of experience - and that you could grow into this position.  what's the worst they would do? tell you no?

just be sure not to outright lie about what you're capable of.  just be honest and confident.

good luck!

Sep 2, 11 2:48 pm  · 
 · 

if you are honest and make a cv and portfolio that shows you are not qualified?  my guess is they will simply put your application in the rejected pile while complaining about how many people apply for a job they are clearly not qualified for.

unfortunately this is not a market to be underqualified in.  most applicants will be the opposite. 

on the other hand if you understand that is the likely outcome you can apply anyway and hope they see something else in your work.   never know....

Sep 2, 11 5:58 pm  · 
 · 
elinor

fake it 'til you make it.  the answer is always 'yes'.   do you know this program?  'yes'.  have you done X,Y,Z before?  'yes, of course.'  you can add some qualifying factor to give yourself a little room to make mistakes, like 'i've only used this program on my personal school projects, never in an office setting

Sep 2, 11 7:13 pm  · 
 · 
elinor

...but it has great capabilities...) or some such thing.  if your job is at a smallish place, they are probably asking for more sophisticated skills than they will ever use, so anything you learn on the fly will probably be sufficient.  if it's a place known for cutting-edge, computer-driven work, well then forget it, though that kind of place will be able to tell from your portfolio what your skills are.  this is a risky strategy of course, so you should only use it if you're committed to trying your best to rise to the occasion and spending the week before your start date doing nothing but internet tutorials....

Sep 2, 11 7:28 pm  · 
 · 

lol.  yeah why not.

though it pretty much confirms why it is necessary to have a 3 month trial before hiring anyone permanently.  cuz if you say you can do the job and it turns out you are hopelessly incompetent i will very likely need to fire you for wasting the resources our office has managed to accumulate.  and then start looking again.  and rethink our hiring practices.

your portfolio will likely give you away, but if it doesn't i guess the deal is to hope there isn't a test of the software during interview.  and then hope they weren't serious about actually needing someone with 2 years of revit or grasshopper or similar cuz those years actually matter.

Sep 3, 11 3:14 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: