Archinect
anchor

Obtaining Letter of Reccomendation

I was just wondering what the proper protocol on obtaining a letter of reccomendation is? Currently I'm not planning on changing employers but will in the next couple years.

For the past two years I've been working on a major project quite closely with a well known owners rep. He has been very pleased with my work and I would like to ask him for a general letter of reccomendation.

My biggest hang-up is that he also has close ties with a couple of the partners at my current employer. I would assume as a professional he wouldn't mention anything. Do you think I should ask anyway? How many even use letters of reccomendation?

May 13, 05 11:53 am
Aluminate

Letters of recommendation are especially useful in applying for employment overseas, and to some degree they can also be helpful if you are relocating to a city in which you have no connections and your potential employers won't be familiar with the firms at which you worked previously. They aren't very common in more local job searches - in fact they sometimes raise suspicions as to why you're presenting them, especially if they are not very recent or if it seems you're presenting them in lieu of encouraging the potential employer to call and speak to your references in person.
If you ask this owner's rep for a letter it is fairly likely that this information will get back to your current employer. Unless you have reason to think you'll have trouble obtaining references in the future I would hold off until you are actually planning a job change.

May 13, 05 1:20 pm  · 
 · 
A

Thanks for the advise. Good to know as I haven't shown a letter of reccomendation since I first graduated. Yes, I would want the letter for a relocation move and not a local employer change. I'll hold off for now.

May 13, 05 1:37 pm  · 
 · 
g-love

a -

wait until you've announced to your employers that you're leaving (or are at least in a position to not really care if they find out). also, make sure the project is done and everyone is happy. if something blows up in the homestretch, it will make that letter meaningless

May 13, 05 2:06 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: