Archinect
anchor

Can You Help A Brother Out?!

b3tadine[sutures]

Alright mighty Archinectors I need some assistance - preferably those in NJ snd NYC - and or advice.

On Monday I have an interview with a couple looking to do an addition to their contemporary California Ranch. Without going into too much detail, they have keen design sense and are looking for something beyond the par.

My questions are these;

1. I have an plan of what to bring to our first meeting, but would be interested to hear what you would recommend to a first timer such as myse;f.

2. Do any of you that do side work or have firms have or think it's important to formalize a philosphy?

3. Can any one recommend how to keep consultant cost down; I may need carve into a hillside, so is soils report necessary, civil??

4. I am thinking that a structural engineer would be needed, but I want to find one that has an appreciation for aesthetic issues, can anyone suggest one in NJ?

5. MEP? Or is this even necessary?

6. What do you typically expect for fees? I have a idea about how I want to handle this, but again some dialogue would help.

Oh, and I will be working with an architect, a friend...

Thanks in advance.

PS - No 3D-H on this one, so Per you can rest easy.

May 12, 05 9:27 pm
abracadabra

from los angeles, maybe it will help somehow.

1. I have an plan of what to bring to our first meeting, but would be interested to hear what you would recommend to a first timer such as myse;f.
- probably they are expecting to see pictures of your previous work. (projects you were responsible for design, manegement, drafting etc.)
leave this alone until they ask.
listen and listen. be clear on your responses. be ready to discuss a loose timeframe for your services. do not show or talk too much about any strong ideas you might already have. do not contradict their ideas if they have any. try to keep the conversation around the scope of work and their expectations. remember they are interviewing you. do a little building dept research as it is applicable to their project (at this point it is their project), hillside regulations etc. be ready to mention a name of some key consultants. (in this case, a structural engineer and soils engineer.)
ask about their budget and program if they have any.

2. Do any of you that do side work or have firms have or think it's important to formalize a philosphy?
- i would not get into discussing too much design philosophy, unless they ask you specifically.

3. Can any one recommend how to keep consultant cost down; I may need carve into a hillside, so is soils report necessary, civil??
- i am from california, here definetly soils report and grading plan required. probably ditto for where you are as well. cutting into hillside and retainig is a serious business, you don't want to be liable for this. even they don't require soils report and grading plan. get bids from your local soils engineers who know the area soils conditions. and yes, definetly a topographical survey.

4. I am thinking that a structural engineer would be needed, but I want to find one that has an appreciation for aesthetic issues, can anyone suggest one in NJ?
- ask around for a structural engineer from your friends and associates. probably you won't need arup and partners. more you think it out easier it gets for the engineer. most engineers will follow your lead unless you have something so unusual.

5. MEP? Or is this even necessary?
- nyet. good mechanical/electrical and plumbing contractor is all you need. stay local if available.

6. What do you typically expect for fees? I have a idea about how I want to handle this, but again some dialogue would help.
- hard question for the first gig. probably you really want to do it. so make it easier for your clients to swallow. do not be so inexpensive either. they will respect and take you more seriously if you ask a fair price.for your first project stay around 8-10 percent of the construction budget (if you ask hourly fees, still base it around percentage figure). if you must be flexible for a percent or two.
be clear about what you will provide for the price you are charging. sometimes clients don't want to commit to the whole package. they should be made aware of your price breakdown for the process as in SD, DD, CD's.
this is all i can think of it right now. good luck very much and let us know how it went.

May 12, 05 10:28 pm  · 
 · 
aml

abra, i thought you were going to recommend staying clear of cher's house and museum commissions... sorry betadine i can't help but at least i'm bumping the thread up...

May 12, 05 11:24 pm  · 
 · 
abracadabra

never. besides cher and i are really close and i am trying to get her save sci arc 's ass by buying the disputed parcels and donating it to school. +, she is a registered member of this web site and lately she has been studying 'situationist manifesto'. there, make no mistake..

May 12, 05 11:59 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

damn abra...everything you responded to i was thinking as well, good to know i am approaching this appropriately. thanks a lot for your response...i hope others can contribute to this...

May 13, 05 12:14 am  · 
 · 
vado retro

in my fly over state if u move 40 cubic yards of dirt you need an erosion control report. you better call the state,county and city where this place is and find out pronto what you need. cuz none of this stuff is cheap.

May 13, 05 7:25 am  · 
 · 
ice9

i can give you some 'design sensitive' engineer suggestions in nyc...if that is close enough.

structural : mark hage (212) 358-7778
mep : gabor szakal (212) 255-2626

but, you might be better off going local...

May 13, 05 10:52 am  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

alright peeps...thanks for the help so far. tomorrow is the day. i'll be asking more questions soon...

May 15, 05 11:43 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: