Archinect
anchor

building cost estimates... help!

spiderdad

i'm suppose to cost my school project as part of a report...

can anyone suggest any good online sources for getting any precedents / cost analysis of other buildings that i can use to work out how much mine would cost?

thanks all.

May 12, 05 8:46 am
4arch

Go to your school's library and look for the R.S. Means books. There are different books for different types of construction.

May 12, 05 8:52 am  · 
 · 
TED

spoon in uk. they do have unit cost / sm. also might just pick a recent aj with similar building type unit cost. great source. real number-current

May 12, 05 9:05 am  · 
 · 
evilplatypus

When you use the R.S. Means book, dont forget to add 30% to everything you calculate.

May 12, 05 6:40 pm  · 
 · 
Ms Beary

i don't

May 12, 05 8:19 pm  · 
 · 
evilplatypus

Do your actual construction costs match your design estimates? If so, congrats.

May 12, 05 10:21 pm  · 
 · 
Ms Beary

Sometimes they are high, sometimes low. I am not known for estimating...
But tough game we all play, you know, isn't it?
I think that things are so dependant on anything but averageable numbers. The Big Oops can happen here and there.

May 12, 05 10:27 pm  · 
 · 
norm

on the back of an envelope write down the sq footage. multiply it by $175. you will be very close.

May 13, 05 4:19 pm  · 
 · 
R.A. Rudolph

or by $250, $350, $450...

May 13, 05 4:33 pm  · 
 · 
Organic9

Google 'Building Journal'. They have a free cost estimating software, that you can use on line to get estimates, for a particular building type, based on sq ft, and for the State and nearest city, the project is in. Its not a bad tool, for getting a general idea of costs.

May 13, 05 7:31 pm  · 
 · 
mmm3

Anything you enter will prob. be wrong. You need allot of experiance to determine the real cost, not some majic formula

May 14, 05 8:25 pm  · 
 · 
Alt+0241

Agreed. Professionals make a lot of money estimating building costs, and in the last two years even they have been commonly 30% under. Costs have spiked so much recently that most printed material you find will be very out of date.

Also depends on where you are. Here in California we estimate about $225/sf for common medical office buildings, and anywhere from $275 to $450 for schools and college buildings, but then everything costs more in California.

What is the building type?

May 15, 05 12:16 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: