Archinect
anchor

Const. Mgmt to Architecture

MACattack

Hello all:

Has anyone here transitioned from construction management to architecture? My undergrad degree is in Const. Mgmt and I have done a lot of work in this area (8 years) but want to move more into design. Any thoughts or insights into this potential transition?

MACattack

May 11, 05 2:37 pm
FRO

I thought about doing that, but all those elitist pencils and sketchbooks turned me off to it.

:.p

May 11, 05 2:47 pm  · 
 · 
MACattack

Come on, for the love of Frank G., come on . . .

MACattack :-)

May 11, 05 3:08 pm  · 
 · 
tinydancer

My undergrad is Construction-been working in it for 7 years and am starting a MArch this summer. What do you want to know?

May 11, 05 4:34 pm  · 
 · 
Tectonic

are you willing to take about a 15 to 20k pay cut?

May 11, 05 6:41 pm  · 
 · 
tinydancer

what is starting pay of a new architect out of grad school WITH 7 years experience in construction and insternships during their grad work in an architects office?

May 12, 05 2:56 pm  · 
 · 
mn

I graduated with a BA in architecture last year, working in construction management for a year now. Currently, I am looking to get back into architecture. During my last interview I was asked how much I got paid as a project coordinator. In which my interviewer replied with: "that's what some one in our firm makes with 5 years experience." I'm sure you are familiar with a Project Coordinator's salary-- not alot.
Anyway I think after architecture school you would be much more fit being a Project Architect/Job Captain compared to someone without your heavy construction experience. Initially I recommend going to a firm who is in the construction phase for their projects. They would grab you right up.

May 12, 05 4:34 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: