Archinect
anchor

to IDP, or not to IDP?

rationalist

so, I live in California, and just slipped under the IDP requirement. Got my letter saying I've qualified to start exams this past week. But now I'm wondering, should I do IDP anyway? I've no particular plans to defect california, but somehow it still nags at me that I would have a hard time doing so if I wanted to.

So, opinions. Should I IDP, or should I not? If you've done IDP, how long did it take you? Was it a real pain in the ass, or did it help you in demanding a more well rounded experience from your office?

May 10, 05 5:06 pm
tect75

Do it. You never know what the future brings. Doesn’t take long. I’m still finishing mine. Been about 4-5 years. Had a job that didn’t really help all that much but have had friends finish in 3 years. I fill it out daily as I do my time sheet. Makes it easy. Only pain in the ass is dealing with NCARB. (they lost a few work reports on me already, f’n idiots) I don’t know that it help me get a more rounded experience. To me work is what u make of it. Either u go out and get or demand to get the experience or u sit on your but at the computer and do redlines for your entire career. Its up to u. finishing IDP will make registration in other states easier.

May 10, 05 5:28 pm  · 
 · 
silverlake

don't do it! why set yourself back 3 years with a red-tape pain in the ass? its not worth it.

May 10, 05 5:37 pm  · 
 · 
Janosh

You are going to do all the pain in the ass stuff for three years whether you fill out the forms and get recognized for it or not.

May 10, 05 5:48 pm  · 
 · 

silverlake- the way I understood it, since I'm eligible for all the exams without it, I could go ahead and get my license without completing it, but still be doing it at the same time.

Another question- if I were to take this route, could I sign my own IDP forms once I was licensed through the non-IDP route?

May 10, 05 6:48 pm  · 
 · 
stephanie

what is the point of even doing it if you are going to sign your own forms?

it is sort of a funny thought though.

i haven't run into IDP being that much of a pain...NCARB is not exactly a darling to work with, but, meh...
if you can get around IDP i'd do it...but i would figure out exactly what my limitations would be. all states are different with their reciprocity, so it really depends on being able to forsee your future.

May 10, 05 6:57 pm  · 
 · 
CHills

I'm from California and I also slipped in right before too.
I wouldn't do it. But I can see you'd get a lot out of it by doing it.
So I don't think it's a waste of time. I think, though, working in other states, and signing drawings in other states are different issues.
Unless your reprocity affects your salary...
I'd like to hear what you decide to do.
Since I'm in a similar situation.

May 10, 05 7:25 pm  · 
 · 
eeayeeayo

You can't sign your own forms. You have to have a supervisor - who is not you - sign the forms. In most cases this needs to be a registered architect, though there is some amount of experience that can be gained in an engineer's office, contractor's firm, etc. - but you'd still need the engineer or contractor or whatever to sign the forms.
If you are the principal of your own firm then you need to have 2 architects who know you and know your work well (but who are not you) sign the forms.

It won't set you back timewise, since as you say you can get registered in CA first, then complete IDP afterward. If you ever do need reciprocity (because you find at some point that you don't want to live in CA forever perhaps) then you'll be all set.

May 10, 05 9:04 pm  · 
 · 
Janosh

Okay... so Rationalist isn't required to submit IDP work verification forms to get licensed. He/she still needs to fill out 3 years worth of CA work verification forms, which are not really any less tedious. It's up to you, but beyond the hundred bucks or so you will save in checks to NCARB (and will end up paying later) I don't see an advantage.

May 10, 05 10:46 pm  · 
 · 
Archi-F

Really - IDP comes down to Reciprocity. Or the apparent ease of reciprocity that comes through NCARB. I believe there are at least 45 states out there who will still grant you their license after you appeal directly to their state board (and not to NCARB), given the fact that the CAB (California Architect's Board) does have a structured employment verification form.

However, having (what the older people would call) your "Blue Cover" from NCARB will make the process go by a lot more smoothly for $$$.

One thing that hasn't been mentioned - is the fact that (in the state of California) - you will not only have to complete IDP, you'll also have to complete CIDP. (Because it sounds like you haven't started the program yet) Which essentially is more paper work...

May 11, 05 11:06 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: