Archinect
anchor

Glass walls of the new ICA at Boston

lush

Does anyone have information/specs or manufacturer details for the glass used by Diller+Scofidio Renfro in the new ICA museum design in boston? The theater/ performance space is covered with a glass skin that can change its opacity from completely transparent, to translucent, to totally opaque as required. I tried to look for a website, but havent found one. Any kind of info on the material would be very helpful...Thanks!
http://www.icaboston.org/Home/Information/TheNewICA/Design%20Announcement

May 10, 05 2:59 pm
lush

Anyone?? really need the info fro a project im working on...any leads?

May 10, 05 4:56 pm  · 
 · 

Have you tried contacting Diller + Scofidio Renfro? I'm sure they'd be able to help you out fairly easily. If I knew about this earlier today, I would have walked over to the construction site for you when I was in Boston. By from your description, I'm going to go with it being something along the lines of Priva-Lite.

May 10, 05 5:06 pm  · 
 · 
JG

If you are doing research here is an [url=http://home.howstuffworks.com]explanation[/smart-window4.htm] of how it works:

May 10, 05 5:10 pm  · 
 · 
JG

dammit all to hell, what did I do wrong?

May 10, 05 5:13 pm  · 
 · 
Martinsson
link

:)

May 10, 05 5:41 pm  · 
 · 
anotherquestion

has anyone seen the site? how far along is construction?

May 10, 05 5:42 pm  · 
 · 
lush

Thanks for your help pixel and JG, I will try and get in touch with Diller+scofidio. Pixel, if you do get a chance to go to the site in Boston and find out about the glass that would be brilliant!!
JG, I copy-pasted that link...and it worked (kinda)! I got some info on smart-window, which is kind of what i was looking for. They even have some links to manufacturers...although what I found seems to go from transparent to translucent, not opaque. I'm going to keep looking, but anymore info from archinecters is always good to have!

May 10, 05 5:44 pm  · 
 · 
Martinsson

'active glass' – that, through the use of interlayers, can change its state; for example moving from transparent to translucent;

link

May 10, 05 5:55 pm  · 
 · 

not sure when I'm going to be in Boston next, but if I have the chance to get the info I'll let you know.

May 10, 05 6:01 pm  · 
 · 
lush

thanks guys!

May 10, 05 6:11 pm  · 
 · 
ahr ki tehkt

not sure who the manufacturer of that glass is, but here is description on how it works:

"A lenticular glass wall facing the harbor is a special feature of the Long Gallery, which spans the entire width of the north end of the exhibition space and connects east and west galleries. Composed of microscopic vertical lenses, the glass permits vision out when viewed from a perpendicular direction but blocks vision when viewed from an angle."

http://www.arcspace.com/architects/DillerScofidio/ICA/Photo-3.jpg

May 10, 05 9:26 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: