Archinect
anchor

What Are Some Ways You Market Your Firm

b3tadine[sutures]

How do you find the kinds of clients that make your spending x-thousands of dollars on architecture school and licensing fees worth that kind of debt?

This goes for both licensed professionals and unlicensed?

May 10, 05 7:02 am
b3tadine[sutures]

perhaps i asked the wrong question?

May 10, 05 10:04 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

It's just a very hard question, betadinesutures.

So far, in my own firm, it's totally been word-of-mouth. Make one client happy and they will keep sending their friends' projects your way.

And the first client or two that make it possible to go out on your own? Same thing, but met them through the firm I used to work at. Make the client see that you, personally, work hard and do a good job and they *might* approach you to do a side project.

Then there's networking - going to charitable events or events that are of interest to you where you might meet potential clients.

And join a church. A wealthy one.

May 10, 05 10:57 pm  · 
 · 
guiggster

I have been to church maybe once in my life (easter at my girlfriends request) but I would consider joining a wealthy church for that reason alone. Does this mean I'm going to hell?

May 11, 05 1:37 am  · 
 · 

"Does this mean I'm going to hell?"

only if you buy into their religious mumbo-jumbo...

May 11, 05 5:48 am  · 
 · 
David Cuthbert

Or in their case if you don't "buy" into their mumbo-jumbo

wait what am I saying I'm a good catholic boy :)

May 11, 05 8:03 am  · 
 · 
Ms Beary

Join social or professional clubs. I have met 100+ people over the last few months from joining a group and becoming an active member (secretary). Everyone in the group knows me and knows who I am even if I don't know them. Many of them want to talk about architecture with me - whether they are the sales guy at the overhead door who prepared the most complete accurate quote I've ever gotten, or the guy who wants to chat about why remodeling his house will cost more than building new, or the girls who went to college at the stadium remodel I have going on and they want to get the inside scoop from me, or the guy who saw my renderings in the paper and wants to tell me they are great and introduce himself as a graphic designer.
The point is, is that they are all interested in me! (how many architects do they know? "wow, that's interesting - you're an architect?" type stuff). Not only does it give me the self esteem boost, but now there are many people out there that know me and know my personality and work ethic. I also get to espouse some of my beliefs onto naive listeners.
As far as our firm goes, yes, unfortunatly everyone goes to church except me and that IS where a lot of clients come from. Then word of mouth from there and repeat clients. Most everyone joins a social club or two. They even get thier dues paid for by the company and get to bill the time they spend at these places to the company - which I think is messed up and a double standard because interns don't get to, but that's another topic. The principals do a lot of "marketing" which intails going out to lunch -- a lot.
We have also have a marketing director, who does.... uh.... not a whole lot... enter us in an awards thingy every so often... cut our clippings out of the paper (which I used to do FOR FREE at home until we hired her)

May 11, 05 8:06 am  · 
 · 

strawbeary's more honest responses always crack me up. you truly earn the right to a pseudonum.

May 11, 05 9:40 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: