Archinect
anchor

Summer Interning

SugerAbbott

It seems like it is harder and harder to find summer internships with smaller-to-midsized firms especially if you are not from the region. Is it because the time of training required to bring someone up to speed with the individual firm practices or that architects are uncomfortable hiring someone from outside the area because they have not heard of the previous firms and the non- big named school as I have graduated from? I am moving to LA in a week for the summer(because my fiance has a summer internship with a tech firm) and I have been searching for jobs and must have called and emailed over 20 postings and leads with no real luck. The usual response is either no response or we like the portfolio but cannot hire you because of the time span.
Is this happening to everyone / some people or is this mountain of frustration and headache stuck with only me?

May 9, 05 6:40 pm
archimorphic

hmmm...most places hire interns by march/april. when i was a summer intern (2 summers ago) i called 80 firms, 12 asked for a resume and portfolio, 4 of those asked for an interview. i've never experienced problems because i wasn't from an area. in fact, i've seemed to have a great time because i can pick up and transplant myself in various cities b/c archis have a trade/skill that's quite hirable. i'm from NY and have been offered summer internships in LA, SF, NY, HI and houston. good luck to you though...

May 9, 05 7:04 pm  · 
 · 
newstreamlinedmodel

I don’t know about the change over time but smaller firma do tend to go more for people they know. Former students or friends of employees. It makes sense. Personality is more of a factor in a small environment and they tend to only need a few people so why not go with who you know.

You might have better luck with a larger place that has a human resources department and some set policy for hiring. Could be more money too and a summer of working for a well oiled machine instead of some random, quirky mom-and-pop shop might not hurt you .

Good luck man, though. I’ve been there and probably will be again.

May 9, 05 9:23 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

Personally, I always found summer internships to be right-place-right-time situations. I never had a summer position until a week or so into summer, when I would show up at the door of a firm that needed an extra set of hands right away. Keep positive, and keep checking in on the firms you are interested in (without being annoying/stalker about it), they may suddenly get a new project and need someone short term, but don't want to commit to it early. Good luck!

May 9, 05 10:53 pm  · 
 · 
SugerAbbott

Thanks for the consoling. Archimorphic- I did start in late May knowing the deadlines of firms especially big hot ones. And I also tried some bigger ones with HR depts. I dont know maybe I will be resigned to doing tricks for change on the Venice boardwalk. I guess when I get there I will just have to bang down some doors.

May 10, 05 6:52 pm  · 
 · 
mpsyp

Sugar>

You still out there? How did it work out? Did you find an internship? Hope so...

Feb 4, 06 11:18 pm  · 
 · 
SugerAbbott

Mpsyp,

Nope.. Had a few interviews but by the time I got out there everyone was saying it was too short. Some were the same ones I contacted earlier. Oh well. Life is not too bad when you spend it 100m from the beach in sunny Venice Beach,CA. So no real complaints, just a fact of life it's not what but who you know. And who people feel comfortable with.

Feb 17, 06 3:43 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: