Archinect
anchor

I need a J-O-B

bloviate

I hate my job. I'm awaiting the fall for my MArch program to begin at UCLA. Meantime, sterilizing my young and potent existence working in a small and anti-social cost estimation firm in Downtown LA. Anybody know of any summer long positions, internship, anything? No architectural experience at all. Help? Is this too shameless? Is this even allowed by Archinect forum bylaws to post this on a thread?

May 5, 05 8:46 pm

Have you checked the jobs section?

May 5, 05 10:21 pm  · 
 · 
bloviate

Yup. sure have. Few and far between...

May 6, 05 12:01 am  · 
 · 
ret

since you have nothing to lose, choose a firm of your liking, could be anything, big or small. walk in, tell them you want to hang around (works even better if it does'nt matter whether they pay you or not), theres a chance that they'll ask you to f*** off, but i would say there's an equal chance they'd take you in, teach you something(like making coffee, kidding), or use your experience in estimation (which i know sucks, but you'll be in an envionment where keeping your eyes and ears open will teach you a lot)and make you do something worthwhile!
i would even recommend going to some ucla professors' offices.
i don't know if it'll work or not, but some of these guys appreciate the 'drive' and the willingness to learn..you never know, you might get lucky!!!
besides, its great to just chat with some of these blokes! (i would recommend catching them at ucla, since that's where they'll have some time for you)
in the profession you're getting into, you have to take the initiative! so go for it...best wishes...

May 6, 05 6:42 am  · 
 · 
ret

also, i tried the same thing and it worked, i made copies for a week, but then i started asking other employees to let me do some of their shit, like cut and score model material---everyone loves free help and it was fun!! i actually made a few friends too!

May 6, 05 6:45 am  · 
 · 
bigness

and did you all go and played in the park and had cakes?

aaah, sorry, i just couldn't resist.

May 6, 05 7:46 am  · 
 · 

you say that like theres something wrong with cake...

May 6, 05 10:18 am  · 
 · 
bloviate

Thanks for the advice- the funny thing is that I'm making great money now, actually more than the starting salary one would expect out of arch school. But at this point I'm willing to sacrifice non-vital organs just to work with people that talk. You know that water-cooler chat in the mornings that we so often hear about? Well, that doesn't exist here. White noise, and the beeping of digitizers.

May 6, 05 4:21 pm  · 
 · 
e

i like cake. what about taking a job in construction?

May 6, 05 5:12 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

the army's hiring lots of travel and adventure. beats sitting in front of computer drawing stair details.

May 7, 05 5:05 pm  · 
 · 
greenmach

i hear starbucks is hiring.
they pay their managers more than an architect will make for years...and years....and years.

May 8, 05 3:13 am  · 
 · 
Dazed and Confused

You rest when you die!

May 8, 05 3:31 am  · 
 · 
vado retro

wal mart is growing. managers there make big bucks.

May 8, 05 8:51 am  · 
 · 
evilplatypus

Firms are always hiring in chicago - because the turnover seems to be so high. Roll the bones.

May 8, 05 8:28 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: