Archinect
anchor

Interested in going to gsapp. Should I get a laptop or a label-maker?

Rusty!

Hi,

I heard that most gsapp grads go on to become button makers on the internets. Is this true?

What kind of a label-maker should I get?

Thnx!

Aug 29, 11 12:54 pm
design

Architects are learning new things in school, but because they have no control over their industry, they are branching out into other fields more and more.

Aug 29, 11 1:03 pm  · 
 · 
tagalong

WAIT! If you produce your drawings WITH the label maker then the notes are already there...take that REVIT!

Aug 29, 11 1:14 pm  · 
 · 

It's haptic - I can feel the pressure that machine makes when you pull the trigger.  Haptic sensitivity is key to succeeding as an architect.

Aug 29, 11 1:46 pm  · 
 · 
Rusty!

Mr. Kahn, which architecture schools are reducing admission numbers in order to address this issue?

Thnx!

Aug 29, 11 1:48 pm  · 
 · 
design

Probably none

where is J.James when we need him?! Im sure he knows where to find this info

Aug 29, 11 2:19 pm  · 
 · 
Rusty!

I thought James was in charge of useless internet info only.

Thanks Donna for tactile feedback!

Should I also get a plunger?

Thnx!

Aug 29, 11 2:30 pm  · 
 · 

I don't post as much. That Sherwan Williams ad stays permanently down and hovers over the page if I accidentally rollover it. Then my text box gets all weirdly blocked and stops working. That really grinds my gears.

After typing out 4 paragraphs of shit no one cares about, I have to reload the page. And these next text boxes don't preserve any inputted text into them if you reload, accidentally hit the back button or click a link. Then I just sit back and realize that it wasn't worth posting anyways. Also, I don't really care that much.

Being an information whore has gotten me a job. Knowing the budget allowances for school desks doesn't fix my broken axle. Calculating [amateurishly] deflection tolerances doesn't put food on in my belly. Pulling up 300-year master plans to prove convoluted instances of centralized planning doesn't get employers to send me e-mails or call me.

And a 10-mile bike to do anything at all doesn't put me in a good mood. Especially with this rashy heat.

Aug 29, 11 3:12 pm  · 
 · 

I actually think though that you should set up a CAD file 1/4" high by 7' long. And then plot all of the lines, text and whatever else you need on it. Duplicate it up enough times to fill up a whole plotter sheet.

Then just glue the lines and letters onto sparkly poster board.

Aug 29, 11 3:15 pm  · 
 · 
Rusty!

James, I like the Sherwin Williams banner. It seems to triple archinect's functionality. 

Your other site complaints (while possibly valid) never would have happened if archinect fatcats hired an UX designer to show them their ways. 

That's awesome that you have a paying job! You bike to work? Is it possible to do so in Florida without getting eaten by an SUV or getting run over by an alligator? 

Do wear a helmet!

Aug 29, 11 7:11 pm  · 
 · 
sameolddoctor

Rusty, I bet you need not a label-maker, but a calculator. To add up the vast amounts of money you make.

Aug 29, 11 11:15 pm  · 
 · 

That's awesome that you have a paying job! You bike to work? Is it possible to do so in Florida without getting eaten by an SUV or getting run over by an alligator?

Had a paying job. Being a part-time bookkeeper is great as long as you have actual books to keep. Actually, I worked from home with the exception of the 3 times a month I actually had to use my car to get paperwork. So, no car, no work. That means a whopping 75% of my income is now gone and I still have a $1000 broken axle. I would rent a car but LOL no credit cards. Also, the nearest rental car place is like 12-something miles away.

On top of that, I have just learned due to Tea Party budget cuts in my overtly red county, there is no longer is north-south bus service. Which would be fine since the nearest "city" is only 7.5 miles away. The only problem is that there's only two highways, neither has bike lanes or sidewalks, and an interstate that connect me either to the city in the north or the city in the south.

To get to my one client in a city about 35 miles away, there's only 1 possible not-getting-hit-by-a-car path. I ride my bike up the transmission lines, take the [illegal] 4-wheeling dirt path to the railroad tracks, take the railroad tracks [illegal] down south to the cement factory, cut across to an access road, take a road down to the riverfront road (no sidewalks but only 20 mph speed limit). Then from there, take the river road to the second causeway bridge to the first island. Then travel south on another riverfront road to another causeway bridge to the beach. Then wait at the beachside bus route for approximate 1-2 hours to take the southbound bus all the way down. Then it's only two causeway bridges (one has no sidewalks) back to the mainland and then another 7 miles to the city.

Oh yeah, I have to do that in a suit, not get sweaty and to do it only to make about $400.

Is it possible to do so in Florida without getting eaten by an SUV or getting run over by an alligator?

It really isn't. If I want to get groceries, fast food, go to the drug store, get a haircut or go to the liquor store... it's a 10-mile roundtrip.

For anything like department stores, appliances, hardware, office supplies... I either have to hire a taxi ($40 bucks a pop roundtrip ignoring idling charges) or pay people off craigslist to drive me around (half the price, double the creep factor).

Aug 30, 11 12:59 am  · 
 · 
tuna

...at least you have a better story to tell your grandkids then the traditional “when I was a young lad, I use to walk 20 miles in snow everyday”

Aug 30, 11 4:13 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: