Archinect
anchor

Gensler interview coming up...any advice?

bande_a_part

Got an interview with Gensler Studio 585 in nyc for summer internship coming up...any advice?

Also, just wondering...what should I wear? Boring coporate suit or subtle yet trendier blazer and dress pants? tie or no tie?

May 1, 05 1:26 am
sahar

I don't know about the New York office but 585 in San Francisco wears the most casual clothing of the whole office. It is hip, but casual. I would say something nicer than that, but I don't think you need to break out the suit unless the New York office is entirely different.

May 1, 05 1:33 am  · 
 · 
sameolddoctor

work on ur portfolio a bit more than pondering on this (stupid) question

May 1, 05 3:31 am  · 
 · 
MMatt

Eh, wear what you wish. Gensler Chicago isn't a terribly corporate environment (atleast in terms of dress). Nice pants and a nice shirt are typical, no need to suit it up. Tie optional.

I regrettable have absolutely no idea what 585 does. Firmwide, though, Gensler has a "green sensitive" image (although I hesitate to call it a thurough sustainability initiative). Rework your portfolio to show strengths which relate to this. That's the best I could suggest.

.mm

May 1, 05 4:09 am  · 
 · 
raji

Go pants-less. Gensler loves that. That's how MMatt knows so much.

May 1, 05 7:19 pm  · 
 · 
cattivo

if you go trouser-less it'll make it that much easier for them to do what they eventually had planned for you.

May 1, 05 9:04 pm  · 
 · 
torr

tell them their "estimated" salary is bogus.

May 1, 05 10:06 pm  · 
 · 
do_arch

i would wear a suit and tie... you can never be overdressed. listen well and ask intelligent questions about what you will be doing, etc. i would also read up on some projects they are working on, so you can ask specific questions that let them know you are very thorough.

related question: does anyone know of any big differences between SOM and Gensler in terms of the office dynamic, process, and general quality of design?

May 1, 05 10:23 pm  · 
 · 
Cameron

if it's 585, don't wear a suit. especially if your meeting John Bricker (NYC).
ask if your going to be doing 'roll out' work or actual design... If your a render-machine, don't let on in the interview as that's all you will do for the next 3 years....

585 is the most un-corporate area of the big red G and most of the folks who work there are pretty fun... expect an occational all-nighter..

/speaking from experience.

May 1, 05 10:30 pm  · 
 · 
psteiner

reconsider other options...

May 1, 05 11:22 pm  · 
 · 
THREADS

yes, just found out I'll be working with them this summer in Chicago!...do they have a research component for interns in the NYC office?

I would ask in the question and answer portion of the interview try and find out where other people in the office are from...what schools and what cities. It just so happened that I knew several people that were either friends or former professors of the person who interviewed me.

May 2, 05 12:45 pm  · 
 · 
Janosh

Research at Gensler? That's crazy.

May 2, 05 2:11 pm  · 
 · 
THREADS

the summer internship program in Chicago is 75% 'intern work' and 25% independent research on a sustainable topic. They also pay for interns to be LEED certified.

May 2, 05 2:19 pm  · 
 · 
sahar

Janosh,

They do research at my office.

Okay, this is going to sound odd, but I am going to defend Gensler. I have been working their for one year, and even though some of the offices (including mine) do mostly retail or corporate interiors it is a good environment to work in. The employees are treated quite well. The office politics and administration is transparent. You don't get paid more than any other place, but you don't really have to devote more than a normal work day, and most of the people I interacted with are quite nice. I don't know if my office is different since Art is there, but I assume that most of the offices are the same. The type of work varies from office to office. Our office does a lot of retail, but I know other offices do more architecture, etc. I think Gensler is probably a good place to start out because there are resources at your disposal and you can learn a lot of things as long as you don't get pigeon-holed into the the person that knows how to (insert special skill). At this point in my life, I don't know if I would want a long term career there but that is just because I would like a few experiences to have a better idea of where I would like to end up in the profession.

May 2, 05 2:22 pm  · 
 · 
REDFemme

585 is totally diff. than the other parts of gensler. it is a "think tank", and has faster paced projects. it is graphic design, research, and branding. the folks in the dc 585 design products, glass, furniture, and ideas. people crap on Gensler, but the benefits, bonus's, and work ain't all that bad. as long as you get out when you know you are done learning and not participate in the office political gossip, found everywhere in the working world.

May 2, 05 2:27 pm  · 
 · 
cmoore

how does one go about designing an idea?

May 2, 05 4:57 pm  · 
 · 
REDFemme

similar to ideo's working philosophy, it is working with a client to innovate and invent, most often things they don't know need to be worked on. most recent deliverable; was a book, filled with ideas about constructing physical surroundings to promote social change. the ideas had to be designed.

also see bruce mau, he doesn't just design print, he designs ideas.

http://www.ideo.com/

of course this is just my working philosphy.

May 2, 05 5:47 pm  · 
 · 
Tim DeCoster

Are these internships at Gensler paid? I talked with someone who was going to be interning at their Houston office this summer and she wasn't sure whether or not it was a paid position (of course, it IS the interviewee's responsibility to ask this question...).

That really threw me. I think any firm owes it to the profession to pay their interns, I don't care who they are. On the other hand, if they're offering to pay for LEED and allow for independent research, maybe that's their contribution!???! Thoughts anyone?

May 2, 05 5:48 pm  · 
 · 
sahar

Gensler pays all their interns, but they don't get benefits of full employees, which isn't surprising. Gensler does offer to pay for LEED, ARE, and other testing, BUT you don't get refunded unless you commit to work there for a year. Which means it doesn't really help summer interns. I think their policy towards interns is probably better than most places that interns work (i.e. you get paid a reasonable amount).

May 2, 05 6:46 pm  · 
 · 
do_arch

anyone work or have worked in the houston office? comments...

May 2, 05 6:48 pm  · 
 · 
bUbBLe

can i ask what's 585?! someone help me out, i'm confuse..

May 2, 05 7:14 pm  · 
 · 
THREADS

sahar, the Chicago Office has a special 'Green' internship program apart from the other offices....they do pay for LEED.

May 3, 05 9:26 am  · 
 · 
sahar

threads,

TRhat is cool. I think I heard about this internship through the grapevine. It could be fun if that is the intern's interest.

bUbBLe,
585 does graphics and branding, but it has also been working/collaborating with designers on projects to give the client a more complete package. This usually applies to retail and hospitality projects.

May 3, 05 10:35 am  · 
 · 
THREADS

well green is a very flexible subject that needs to be challenged and discussed...this idea of course is neither profound nor original...but it will keep me engaged for the summer.

May 3, 05 10:54 am  · 
 · 
Smokety Mc Smoke Smoke

Questions to ask/things to say once you know your interview is going badly:

1. Does Gensler have an intermural softball team?
2. "I am an expert knitter."
3. Say "This is an architecture firm? I thought it was the casting couch!"

May 3, 05 11:50 am  · 
 · 
MMatt

Smokey, my first day at Gensler Chicago several months ago someone hit me up for the softball team. No joke.

Gotta love corporatecture.

.mm

May 3, 05 7:29 pm  · 
 · 
raji

corporatecture
nice word.

May 3, 05 7:38 pm  · 
 · 
Sese Seko

ask to speak to Mr. Gensler.

May 4, 05 5:57 pm  · 
 · 
sahar

Sese,

He does exist. Maybe I was just dumb, but I didn't think there was an actual person behind the company until I started work and met him.

May 5, 05 12:08 pm  · 
 · 
MMatt

He's a nice guy.

Anyway, lonunu, don't forget to have something in mind for when they ask you what green topic you'd be interested in researching if they hired you. It reflects poorly if you can't think of anything or say "uhh.... plants."

.mm

May 5, 05 1:54 pm  · 
 · 
bande_a_part

yea I think his name is Arthur Gensler

Thanks for bringing up the green design issue...in fact I think I can show them some stuff related to that in my portfolio

May 5, 05 2:12 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: