Archinect
anchor

Salary in Los Angeles

I'm ready to buy the AIA 2002 Compensation Report for the South West, and Design Intelligence's 2005 Architect & Designer Compensation Review of Leading North American Firms. I found these publications using the search function here....

I also looked at the abbreviated AIA report for interns which was informative; but, I have more experience than what it shows.

Is there something else I should consider buying?

I want the most ammunition when I sit down at the table to negotiate this time around. Thanks in advance.

Apr 28, 05 9:30 am
James

In my opinion, you don't really need "ammunition" when you negotiate salary. I just got a job on LA recently. Present your prospective employer with what you need...if they want you and you seem to be worth what you're asking, then they'll appreciate the approach. I wouldn't really waste my money on all these high-falutin' publications.....just ask for what you think you deserve, not what other people are getting. Personally I would start with a little bit highter number and let them know that it's negotiable. If they're not even close to your bottom-line then just move on, chances are you would be miserable there anyway.

Apr 28, 05 10:31 am  · 
 · 
A Center for Ants?

the salary poll here is pretty good for LA. and it takes into account whether it's like a boutique firm or corporate, etc. which makes a big diff.

Apr 28, 05 1:22 pm  · 
 · 
corbustier

Mr. Ants,
Can you please share the poll results?

Apr 28, 05 1:33 pm  · 
 · 

can't you click into the salary poll and read it for yourself? I'm sorry, I realize that question sounds rude, but I'm confused as to why you would need someone to repost the poll results that anyone who is logged in can view directly.

Apr 28, 05 1:36 pm  · 
 · 
A Center for Ants?

Look to your left ( <---- that direction)

look for a red square

match the following text:
"salary poll"

Apr 28, 05 1:37 pm  · 
 · 
corbustier

No need to be so testy!
I thought ant was referring to one of the surveys bloodclot wanted to buy.
now i realize ants meant the one here.
jeez, do you always jump down peoples throats for being a little stupid?
you must be very tired.

Apr 28, 05 1:46 pm  · 
 · 

I am. And I didn't mean it to sound so testy- that's why I apologized even as I said it, but my sleepy brain couldn't find a better way to phrase it. It didn't occur to me that you didn't realize he meant the one here, as I've seen a lot of people discuss it on here previously.

Apr 28, 05 1:52 pm  · 
 · 
Jrocc

After bringing up salarie negotiation at my last firm the boss droped a copy of this survey on me, http://www.managementdesign.com/survey-la.html
A freind of his that runs a large firm uses it to determine salieries and position titles. Funny thing was he hadn't read it and after goin though and comparing my tasks and projected salarie increase from thier survey I should have been asking for a few thousand more a year. Was funny as hell gettin to hear him admit he hadnt read it, just expected it to be less.

Apr 28, 05 3:32 pm  · 
 · 
MickMack

speaking of the salary poll...and this may also be a dumb question...but is there a way to sort by age or gender or location? everytime i look at it, it is just so random...

Apr 28, 05 3:42 pm  · 
 · 
Jeremy_Grant

thanks for the link Jrocc

"I should have been asking for a few thousand more a year"

^^thats exactly why I want the hard facts now so i dont feel like a chump later.

and I think that MickMack is onto something with the idea to sort the data from the salary poll... i agree it takes forever to sort it out as it stands.

Apr 28, 05 8:24 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: