Archinect
anchor

Any one work at Gehry's?

SHR

I have an interview lined up at Gehry Partners. Can any one give me an insight in to the workplace? what are the salaries like? Is it a sweat shop?

Apr 26, 05 10:36 pm
popeye

SHR-
Are you applying for the "junior architect" position? I too applied and got a call back. They should have received my portfolio yesterday, so I hope to hear from them soon. Good luck and let me know how it goes. Feel free to email me if you'd like.

Apr 26, 05 10:44 pm  · 
 · 
SHR

Popeye
I applied for an Intermediate Architect. I'm trying to get more information about the firm.... please help ... anyone!

Apr 27, 05 4:50 am  · 
 · 
bigness

yeah, theey do blobby buildings, and when you walk inside the office you have to leave theory at the door...:)pretty much all i know.

good luck dude!

Apr 27, 05 6:08 am  · 
 · 
Jrocc

Heard theres no advancement there, if your hired as a drafter you be a drafter fo the next 20 years or however long your there, if your hired as a model you be a modeler for the next...etc., etc. Also heard there is a high turnover rate due to the advancemnt potential and people just wanting to get the name on thier resume. Just what freinds in the area have told me though.

Apr 27, 05 3:05 pm  · 
 · 
sameolddoctor

there is advancement, albeit very slow

my friend started out in the model shop, and now does construction drawings, a bit of design here and there, etc etc (after 2.5 years)

i hear its a great learning atmosphere..and the name it will put on the resume is quite priceless.

Would I do it??? maybe 2 years down the line after making some $$$

Apr 27, 05 5:40 pm  · 
 · 
SHR

Thanks for the inputs ...sameolddoctor and Jrocc,
Great learning atmosphere is a plus.... but did you friend get good or industry standard $$$ for the job he was doing at the model shop? Or was he underpaid.. I hear from someone that Gehry's is one of the most fairly run Starchitect firm... is that true? Any one has any other info.?

Apr 27, 05 5:51 pm  · 
 · 
FOG Lite

I;ve heard the same from friends who've worked there.

Apr 27, 05 6:00 pm  · 
 · 
rls

I worked there for a few months...but my desk was next to this dude who had B.O. Even though he was only there a few days out of the month, the place reeked...I think his name was Brad Pitt...something like that...anyway, I had to bail.

Apr 27, 05 6:49 pm  · 
 · 
CJarch

i have an interview for an entry level position lined up tomorrow and my guts are in knots. my current job blows so i'll worry about advancement and what not later. good luck to the rest of you.

Apr 27, 05 7:59 pm  · 
 · 
SHR

How was your interview CJarch?

Apr 28, 05 7:28 pm  · 
 · 
CJarch

good

May 4, 05 3:47 pm  · 
 · 
CJarch

you?

May 4, 05 3:53 pm  · 
 · 

cjarch did you get the gig ?

SHR ?

May 4, 05 6:15 pm  · 
 · 
SHR

I had one interview today, hopefully there shall be another one. After which I'll get to know if I got the job.

May 5, 05 2:01 pm  · 
 · 
SHR

Out of all those who were interviewed, has anybody heard back from Gehry Partners?

May 11, 05 4:04 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: