Archinect
anchor

Rem and Payment of Architects

hotsies

Rem's shure been complaining a lot about payment of architects..
anyone know if he practices what he preaches and pays his employees well, or does he gouge them and keep an insanely high majority of his money, only to then complain how archtiects dont get paid much when he lectures?

Apr 26, 05 10:42 am

coo-coo for co-co puffs:
http://www.cornellsun.com/vnews/display.v/ART/2005/04/26/426ddebcc1992

It's this line that makes me curious: Koolhaas noted that “every move through the Netherlands Embassy reveals Berlin's history.”

Funny, http://www.oma.nl doesn't say anything about “every move through the Netherlands Embassy reveals Berlin's history.”

Does Koolhaas read archinect/forum? Like on 2003.08.14 it was written here: "Much of Piranesi's Campo Marzio plan is of his own design, albeit based on a retelling of Rome's (architectural) history."

Maybe architects don't get paid like actors because architects are largely reenactors.

Apr 26, 05 11:46 am  · 
 · 
d-t

OMA actually pays a little bit higher compare to other Dutch firms. Of course you will trade your extreme overtime hours for Chinese food deliveries. Rem doesn't like the smell of eggs in the office. No breakfast for all.

Apr 27, 05 12:47 pm  · 
 · 
heterarch

no personal working experience with rem, but everything i've heard of him, and having seen him lecture a couple of times, he seems to be a pretty honest, 'practice what you preach' kind of guy. i'm not surprised by d-t's report. (other than the egg thing which seems strange)

Apr 27, 05 1:21 pm  · 
 · 
Will Prince

this was prior to the reshuffling, but the pay when i was there was general good although at the time American architects were commanding a much higher rate than the europeans not sure if that is still true. the interns pay was a little above average also, 800 euros a month. in nyc, oma's pay is really quite good for the city.

I can't confirm the egg thing, we still had omlettes for lunch once a week, but the smell of the toasty sandwich makers, drove Rem crazy and eventually they all disappered.

Apr 27, 05 2:31 pm  · 
 · 
lush

slightly off-track, but how does one go about getting a job at OMA (new york or rotterdam). This has been a dram of mine for a long time and I havent had any success yet. I have sent in my resume and samples a few times and received the standard "not hiring currently" responce. Any leads Will Prince or d-t?

Apr 27, 05 4:44 pm  · 
 · 
Will Prince

honestly, its a bit of a crap shoot. there are the obvious tracks that people follow, most of the architects there either (1) started there as interns and came back, (2) went to the GSD (3)or the AA DRL or (4) got in through a friend who was already there or (5) showed up at the door when there was desperate need (this happened more often that you would believe). It was very rare when I was there for an architect to be hired from sending in a portfolio (and you should sent a full portfolio, not samples) happened maybe 3 times that i can remember in the two years I was in Rotterdam.

Apr 27, 05 5:21 pm  · 
 · 
a-f

OMA is currently looking for an architect with min. 2 years experience. Give it a try!

Apr 27, 05 5:24 pm  · 
 · 
d-t

Or..you could track Rem's flight and book a seat next to him on the Business Class and get +6 hours of interview. Or hang out at the lobby of Gramercy Hotel when he comes to NYC. One day you might be OMA associate for being persistent.

Apr 27, 05 5:34 pm  · 
 · 
lush

Will Prince: will having gone to the GSAAP help? I am always on the lookout for people who might work at OMA, strangely enough though, I seem to have friends in pretty much every starchitects offices (in NY) except OMA!! I think Im going to have to start showing up at the door! how does one find out if they are desperately looking?
a-f: I dont have 2 years of experience...I did apply for a job opening at the Rotterdam office last month (in responce to a posting on their website) but havent heard from them. I did get the standard reply from the NY office though!
d-t: the thaught of hanging out at the lobby of his new york office has crossed my mind...I havent given in to that urge yet...thankfully!! I might just do it when I feel like I cant deal with my current (mind numbing to the extreme!!) job anymore.

Apr 27, 05 5:50 pm  · 
 · 
lush

btw a-f, is it the rotterdam or the NY office that is looking for an architect right now? thanks for the tip...maybe I'll call them.

Apr 27, 05 5:51 pm  · 
 · 
g-love

will - 800euros a month is a little above average? that only works out to roughly 5euros an hour (800/160hrs). what am i missing here?

Apr 27, 05 10:34 pm  · 
 · 

mvrdv paid interns 400 euros/month in 2002... and remember, the dollar was stronger back in the day!

Apr 28, 05 1:33 am  · 
 · 
a-f

lush: It's the Rotterdam office, according to a post on the ArchiNed website. 800 Euros is at least twice as much as ANY Dutch architecture office would pay their interns. Most of them pay ca. 350 Euros per month. Horrible.

Apr 28, 05 4:11 am  · 
 · 
melivt

i worked in germany for a year and earned 600 euros a month, and that was considered high.

the german interns were paid half that, but received a stipend from the EU.

800 sounds about right and def can be lived on in rotterdam...and it's damn better than "school credit".

Apr 28, 05 4:36 am  · 
 · 
bigness

yup, 800 euros is big buck, all the interviews i went to in Amsterdam offered 300 average...that doesn't even pay the rent!

Is it true that he commends a 25% commission on his designs? rumors...

Apr 28, 05 6:41 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: