Archinect
anchor

Student Entry Portfolios

bilal

Hi all, I'm a non-architectural student currently preparing a portfolio for 2006 MArch applications, I wonder if anyone could provide PDF samples of their entry portfolios and also possibly samples of statement of intents.

Thanks.

Apr 16, 05 3:38 am
fourteensquarefeet

eh... do your own work.

Apr 16, 05 3:45 am  · 
 · 
LBG

WTF? Do yourself a favor and trash those applications. Anyone who makes such a request shows a lack of motivation and creativity, and shouldn't bother applying. There have been requests by applicants on other threads for suggestions and tips, but to look at others recent work is pretty suspect.
So...as fourteensquarefeet said: "eh...do your own work".

Apr 16, 05 4:06 am  · 
 · 
guiggster

I think perhaps you're being a bit harsh. Some of us have no idea what these portfolios are supposed to look like. bilal, I would suggest getting a book like "Portfolio Design" by Harold Linton...which has full examples of student portfolios, which I don't see how its any different from what bilal is asking for. Also check out Berkeley's website for a statement of purpose guide. And search through archinect for some links that people have posted of their portfolios. Good luck. Oh and hide requests like this in more ambiguous posts to ward off aggressive attacks like these in the future.

Apr 16, 05 7:02 am  · 
 · 
barbaric

guiggster, you are a good sport.

Apr 16, 05 7:09 am  · 
 · 
fergus

I recon the best thing to do is stuff that you like doing and that you will have fun doing and which will best represent the things you are interested in. that way even if you don't get in it wont have been a waste of your time plus it will give the acessors a more truthfull insight into who you are. think creativly and try to show you have a logical mind as well. also show how you have an awareness for the things that surround you.

Apr 16, 05 9:58 am  · 
 · 
velo

Bilal, a portfolio is a presentation of your artistic work and creative thought. How you present this work is also a part of the portfolio. Most schools will give a description of the format.

If you're looking for "winning" portfolios... no luck there. There is no winning formula. Admission committees are varied. From portfolios I've reviewed, the ones that stand out showed character and imagination in the work and presentation. Same thing goes for letter of intent. If you don't know what to put in here... well then, why do you want to go to architecture school?

Asking people to give samples of their work is suspicious. Architecture is an artistic endeavour. Would you ask a Visual Arts student for copies of his paintings to see what you should put in your own submission? As somone who's had their work copied, after being asked to see my work so he would know what a portfolio looked like, it greatly pisses you off.

Apr 16, 05 10:40 am  · 
 · 
vado retro

perhaps this website should offer some examples and tips for applying as well as a list of comments/criticisms off all architecture programs. just a thought...also, if you are looking for examples of what the packaging might look like, you might want to go to the nearest fine arts library and comb thru some issues of graphic design mags like how and print. they often have ideas and examples of portfolio's etc.

Apr 16, 05 2:38 pm  · 
 · 
miyaki

go to a archi grad school.. they always have a stack of portfolios in their office for you to flip thru

Apr 16, 05 4:00 pm  · 
 · 
anotherquestion

Some schools also have portfolios that you can look at (ex: UCLA) and if you email/talk to an admissions person, I’m sure they can help you out, or give you reference materials. If you have a friend in graphic design or ad design, they can be super helpful for *basic* issues of making your portfolio visually appealing (ie, use another font, your images are too small/crappy quality)

I asked a few aquaintances for this sort of thing once, and hit a brick wall. I am not a slacker, and wouldn't plagiarize. I just wanted to avoid making an ass of myself, and admired their work.

Having said that, there ARE lazy, idea-stealing dumbasses out there. I wouldn’t give my portfolio to anyone either.

Apr 16, 05 4:03 pm  · 
 · 
sharpie.

check this out for portfolio help

[url=http://www.core77.com/design.edu/portfolio_tips.asp]link[http://www.core77.com/design.edu/portfolio_tips.asp]

Apr 18, 05 12:34 am  · 
 · 
sharpie.

oops..

http://www.core77.com/design.edu/portfolio_tips.asp

Apr 18, 05 12:37 am  · 
 · 
sharpie.

and http://www.core77.com/design.edu/09.04_application.asp for a general application guide

Apr 18, 05 12:39 am  · 
 · 
guiggster

chameleon, nice job with those links, i find it extremely difficult to find anything about architectural portfolios on the web. However, I have to say that that portfolio tips article was extraordinarily unhelpful, and somewhat annoying.

Sorry, not trying to sound like an asshole here, but I'm just thinking that the reason that you can't find any definitive advice on portfolios is because they kind of have to saound like that article does. "Make your portfolio better than everyone elses, and THEN it will be at the level to compete with the other 8 million people whose portfolios are better than everyone elses!"

Apr 18, 05 7:52 am  · 
 · 
Jr.

For advice on the statement of purpose see

http://career.berkeley.edu/Grad/GradStatement.stm

Also, look at the career center or undergrad library at your school--they often have books that explain how to write a successful statement.

Apr 18, 05 7:57 am  · 
 · 
sharpie.

hehe! i`m sorry it got you irritated guiggster. there is another way of looking at it. just think it was written specially for you and no one else. it cud increase your confidence level. only when u think others are reading this too, you`ll want to know what the best loooks like.
instead, i suggest there are a lot of portfolios on the site, check them out and YOU decide what the best has to look like. the first thing in doing some good work is to know what is there, and then you start putting your imagination to work.

Apr 18, 05 10:29 am  · 
 · 
guiggster

Ho-ly-shit. chameleon, I didn't look past that article. I didn't realize all those portfolio examples were there. That'll teach me to not give a thorough look at the links given. My apologies if I sounded ungracious.

Apr 18, 05 11:26 am  · 
 · 
texas2mass

Bilal,
I also have a non-arch background and was in the same spot as you a couple of years ago.
I agree with guiggster that you should check out Linton's book, but don't open it and beome anxious because the work seems really nice. I don't think it is. What you should take from the book is info found the first three chapters, getting started, setting up a format and so on.
Most importantly,
1: take good photos of everything you do.
2: make copies of the photos digitally and then make copies of those because they will be lost and damaged as the months go by.
3. take an art class, this will help you begin filling the portfolio.
4. in the art class, make sure you do several figure drawings. If you can draw a person well, you can draw anything. Plus the art class will give you access to a possible recommendation.

5. **** most importatly **** don't make your portfolio too difficult or confusing. I am a traditional person and I believe a clean, simple portfolio that is humble and consistent throughout is the way to go, espescially for your first attempt. Let the work show itself off, its far too easy to get carried away with everthing else.

Apr 18, 05 5:52 pm  · 
 · 
Luis Fraguada

most importantly . . . make it your own! look at examples, but make sure the book represents you.

Apr 18, 05 6:03 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: