Archinect
anchor

Flash website

jaja

It seems that flash website for portfolios or for arch. firms have become the norm. Would this be the end of plain HTML websites?

Apr 8, 05 1:04 pm
e

no.

Apr 8, 05 1:07 pm  · 
 · 
jitter12

A well done HTML site will always kill a flash site. It loads faster, is easier to maintain, etc....

I think Flash is becoming popular because it helps to gloss over mediocre content.

That being said, a well done flash site can really make a portfolio pop.

Apr 8, 05 2:37 pm  · 
 · 
e

jitter, i would say that a good flash site will load just as quickly as a good html site.

Apr 8, 05 3:20 pm  · 
 · 
3ifs

there is a fine line between a good flash site and an over-the-top flash site.

html is a lot easier... i can't figure out flash to save my life.

Apr 8, 05 5:18 pm  · 
 · 
A Center for Ants?

3ifs... agreed

it's like any presentation technique. flamboyant delivery of the presentation can easily overshadow the actual content of what is being presented.

Apr 8, 05 5:31 pm  · 
 · 
e

like anything, when done right, it can be wonderful. bad html can overshadow the content too.

Apr 8, 05 5:47 pm  · 
 · 
pencrush

and bad html is just as common as bad flash.

Apr 8, 05 6:04 pm  · 
 · 
trace™

Bad html is far more common than bad Flash. Just too many "I read a HTML for dummies book so I am now a website designer"s out there.

A good site is a good site, regardless of the content. However, a great Flash site will be much more sophisticated than a good html site, simply because of html's static and grid orientation.
Personally, I hate html because it's slow, doesn't load consistently, and is a pain to work with (for image based sites).

Apr 9, 05 8:57 am  · 
 · 
trace™

Oops, I meant "a good site is a good site, regardless of whether it's html or Flash."

Apr 9, 05 8:59 am  · 
 · 
swamprat

Do flash in moderation. Good example of what not to do is make eveything flash on a website it loads slow or if someone does not have a plug in for it it wont load at all.

Apr 10, 05 2:58 pm  · 
 · 
and/or
here

is one example where html is much much much better than flash.
the main advantage I see in flash over html is the control you can implement in the way one reads your website.

Apr 10, 05 3:06 pm  · 
 · 
e

"Good example of what not to do is make eveything flash on a website it loads slow or if someone does not have a plug in for it it wont load at all."

again, it depends on the design of the site. good flash can load just as quickly as good html.

and/or, i like the visual language of the 2x4 site, but 3 clicks to see images of the feature project? seems a little much. why not click on feature project and have an image of the project?

Apr 10, 05 5:24 pm  · 
 · 
and/or

that's a good point e. all the more that i appreciate your web work.
yet in 2x4, the whole navigation is so obvious and snappy that 3 clicks feel smoother than one mouseRelease+a loading interlude.
i would also suspect the intention from the author to have the visitor read the title of the projects first, and then be impressed by the graphics, unlike many graphic design websites, hence the apparent visual dryness.
but of course, this is just speculating on a design stating "work-in-progress".

Apr 10, 05 8:50 pm  · 
 · 
Saturn

Also keep in mind that some flash sites are so complex that the user gets discouraged and does not want to waste time trying to fiqure it out. Some people have too many other things to do during the day.

Just my 2 cents.

Apr 10, 05 10:19 pm  · 
 · 
Christopher Connock

oh man.

i love 2x4, but you do know that the 2x4 site gets garbled by firefox/mozilla? at least on my winxp machine.

if anything, the 2x4 site shows that html 'standards' are still very much in progress and that html doesn't prevent a site from being overly stylized.

also...

regarding comments like :"some flash sites are so complex that the user gets discouraged"

you guys need to stop blaming flash for overly complex sites - thats the designer's fault. just because you CAN do it in flash doesn't mean you SHOULD.

personally, i like the options flash gives me. html, php, javascript and flash should all just be friends :)

its NEVER an either/or thing guys.

Apr 10, 05 10:34 pm  · 
 · 
Christopher Connock

correction .. the 2x4 site now works fine.

this spring weather is making me delirous. i think?

Apr 10, 05 10:35 pm  · 
 · 
and/or

yes, never either/or, always and/or.

I have personally become annoyed with the overuse of flash in advertising banners: they used to be animated gifs, stoppable when stopping the page from loading.

Apr 11, 05 12:32 am  · 
 · 
sameolddoctor

i am sorry, but i find the 2x4 site pretty boring

Apr 11, 05 2:29 am  · 
 · 
e

and/or, i do appreciate the snappiness. thx for the complement.

Apr 11, 05 12:21 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: