Archinect
anchor

about that GMAIL..

kissy_face

Did anyone elses get bumped up in storage space? I just noticed that I now have over 2gigs of storage!

Apr 4, 05 9:56 am
Marcus Trimble

Yeah they doubled it to 2gig straight after yahoo anounced that they were incresing their email storage to 1gig...

Apr 4, 05 9:58 am  · 
 · 
French

How do you get a gmail account? I wasn't interested in that stuff before but I'm getting curious. I understand that you have to be "invited", am I wrong?

Apr 4, 05 10:13 am  · 
 · 
kissy_face

you want one? I can give you an invite

Apr 4, 05 10:27 am  · 
 · 
A

I got my gmail quite some time ago but is it web only email? Never use mine because I haven't tried getting it to work in Outlook.

Apr 4, 05 11:13 am  · 
 · 
kissy_face

I don't see why gmail wouldn't work in outlook. i (used to) check my hotmail account outlook. I don't really use outlook anymore now cause gmail is easier for me-although I should be backing up my stuff...

anyways...here is a link
http://www.thehindubusinessline.com/ew/2005/02/21/stories/2005022100280400.htm

Apr 4, 05 11:23 am  · 
 · 
rupa

Is gmail any better than other web-based emails (ie hotmail, yahoo...)?

Apr 4, 05 11:37 am  · 
 · 
kissy_face

TONS better...I dont' mean to sound like a commercial..but none of those web emails compare to gmail interms of organization and usability. The label and conversation features in Gmail make it easy to locate and group emails without creating folders. How many times have you tried to log onto Hotmail around lunch only to find that all the servers are busy? neverhad that happen with gmail. Gmail also has a better spam filter than hotmail.

Apr 4, 05 11:41 am  · 
 · 
phreak125

gmail is POP3 accessible, or however you say it.

So yes, you can use Outlook.

if you are on the PC side, you can also download an app to use your gmail account as one big internet hard drive. Need to transfer that 1.5 gig photoshop file you were crazy enough to make in the first place? well heres how you can finally do it...

Apr 4, 05 11:59 am  · 
 · 
JG

phreak, you got a link to that app?

Apr 4, 05 12:00 pm  · 
 · 
French

kissy_face
I sure would like to try it since it sounds so much better than the others...
you can send me an invite through my member email.
Thanks.

Apr 4, 05 12:21 pm  · 
 · 
doberman

Why is it such a bitch to open an account with them?? From what i understand it's still an experiment type of thing, so i'm concerned that their service might be discontinued anytime and people would lose their accounts. Right/wrong???

Apr 4, 05 12:46 pm  · 
 · 
stephanie

it's not all that bitchy. hit me an e-mail, i'll send out an invite.
i don't know why it still is not public.
i don't think it is going to go away anytime soon. most definately superior to hotmail and yahoo

Apr 4, 05 1:53 pm  · 
 · 
Archi-F

Every user I know has 50 invites. It's not that hard to get one - and then you too can have 50 invites.

Apr 4, 05 9:19 pm  · 
 · 

I have tons of invites too. send me an email. it really is worthwhile to have one and the interface is leagues ahead pf other web programs. much more sensible system and the conversation stryle is far superior to reading my messages in thunderbird.

Apr 4, 05 10:49 pm  · 
 · 
.nl

This site is usefull for getting a gmail account as well as dumping your unused invites:

gmail accounts

Apr 5, 05 2:56 am  · 
 · 
doberman

.nl. i requested an invite from that site, never got anything.

Apr 5, 05 6:45 am  · 
 · 
WonderK

Why would you dump your extra invites? You don't want to give them to just random people....the beauty of Gmail is that you only invite people you know so that Spammers can't get ahold of an address and start trashing the system like Hotmail.

Apr 5, 05 9:45 am  · 
 · 
phreak125

JG -

can't find the one that lets get around the 10meg limit, but just google "gmail drive app" and you will get plenty of links to the under 10meg version. choose your own posion...

it's pc only though... no mac :o(

Apr 5, 05 2:00 pm  · 
 · 
sahar

I have 50 invites if anyone who wants a gmail account still doesn't have one.

A, gmail works with POP. Look under 'New Features' on the toolbar at the top right of the screen.

Apr 5, 05 2:10 pm  · 
 · 

i have fifty gmail invites . anyone want one send me an email . aiight .

peace

k

p. s. grads of usc arch. especially undergrad class of 2003 get some nepotisim

Apr 5, 05 4:24 pm  · 
 · 
.nl

Well that link I posted a couple of posts back does work, you just have to wait a couple of hours

Apr 6, 05 11:03 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

I know this was resurrected by a zombie Jesus bot... but on my, what a time capsule thread.  I remember the days of balancing both yahoo, hotmail and gmail accounts.

Sep 11, 23 8:05 am  · 
2  · 
Wood Guy

My main email is gmail, but I still have a Hotmail account that's mostly spam at this point, and I recently learned that one social media site still has an ancient Yahoo address for me on file.

Sep 11, 23 8:44 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

I still have my OG yahoo email (pre 2000) but only because one of the sports pool I'm part of is run by yahoo... otherwise, i'd have let is disappear like all my other shit from back then. (Hotmail, myspace, anglefire, ICQ, etc).

Sep 11, 23 10:46 am  · 
 · 

I have a yahoo account from around 2000. It's so old that my username has no numbers in it, just my first and last name.

Sep 11, 23 10:57 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

smartest thing I ever did was get 2 gmail accounts. last.first and first.last names. No numbers.

Sep 11, 23 11:08 am  · 
2  · 

I'm embarrassed to admit this, but at one point my email was oscopimp2@metallica.com (because Metallica had email for some damn reason)

Sep 11, 23 12:01 pm  · 
4  · 
Non Sequitur

That's something to be proud of Josh.

Sep 11, 23 12:31 pm  · 
2  · 
gwharton

One of the interesting side effects of being a Gmail early adopter (June 2004 here), is that my very short and simple name-based gmail address gets huge amounts of email being sent to people with similar names but more complicated gmail addresses. Including bank and medical records.

Oct 3, 23 11:58 am  · 
1  · 
citizen

Heck, if we're going back to the start of Gmail, I'm gonna go further back and do a thread on our old rotary-dial phone (color: "avocado").

Sep 12, 23 5:09 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: