Archinect
anchor

photoshop questions

yoiyoi

two questions about photoshop

how do i create an alpha channel in photoshop?
i've scanned in a rendered image with a black background into photoshop and would like to select just image . if i use the select command with a low tolerance i still pick up some of the dark shadows in the image which i don't want
what is the best way to make a neat selection of the image only?

2. how does one create a straight brush stroke at an angle
i'm trying to paint the edge of a roof and would like to know if there's a way of making a straight neat brush stroke along the roof edge
any photoshop gurus ready to help or direct me to a forum where i can get quick responses to above

thanks

Mar 28, 05 9:37 pm
sameolddoctor

what do you mean by you have 'scanned in' a rendered image

if you have got the render from a 3d program like max or maya, just render with the alpha channels. Then in photoshop, open the channels bar and shut down R,G,B channels. with the black-and-white part left, just select the part you do not need and then delete the rest with the other channels on

the 2nd answer is very easy...just keep the shift button depressed to make horizontal, vertical or 45 degree lines

Mar 28, 05 9:55 pm  · 
 · 
joek

...and if there is an angle different to 45 degrees click one at one end of the roof, THEN press the shift button and click at the point you want the line to end. The brush with join the 2 selected points.

Mar 28, 05 10:32 pm  · 
 · 
yoiyoi

the rendered image came from a print .its an old file so don't have the digital image anymore
so the question remains how do i create the alpha channel from the scanned image
thanks for the replies

Mar 28, 05 11:15 pm  · 
 · 
pencrush

The alpha channel is essentially a mask. You can make a mask on your image by creating a mask on the layer and painting out what you want to mask with any brush, or lasso out an area and fill with a paint bucket. You can use the magic wand, but imho, it sucks.

After you create a mask, you can select the masked area by control clicking the mask, or the alpha channel. (cmd+click on a mac, i think)

Mar 29, 05 1:09 am  · 
 · 
A Center for Ants?

what pencrush was getting at but more explicitly :

in tools, underneath the Foreground/Background are two rectangles with circles in them.
click the one on the right (grey box, white circle)
paint over what you want to not be selected.
click back over to the white circle/white box to change the mask to a selection

Mar 29, 05 3:02 pm  · 
 · 
pencrush

That's actually not what I was talking about. What you're talking about is called a "quick mask" which is useful for making a selection, but is non-editable. A regular mask can be edited as many times as you like.

Mar 29, 05 4:02 pm  · 
 · 
pencrush

... and can be ctrl+clicked to make a selection.

Mar 29, 05 4:03 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: