Archinect
anchor

residential fees

yoiyoi

i'm doing a small addition to a friend's two storey dwelling with an approximated value of $80 000 . what is would be a good lump sum fees to charge for the design and preparation of cds
thanks for your suggestions

Mar 25, 05 10:43 pm
Sean Taylor

It would depend upon your locale. Here in New England, I am charging 18% of the total Construction Cost for an addition/alteration. But, if you are doing this on a freelance basis, or as a student, I would probably charge an hourly rate of between $50 to $75 per hour for a friend. That is what I charged years ago doing freelance work, but there are many variables (location, experience, availability, scope of work, etc.) that would weigh in on that.

Also, unless you have experience in these things, it will take you two to three times the amount of hours that you think it will.

Good Luck.

Mar 25, 05 10:56 pm  · 
 · 
yoiyoi

its in philly just a bit hesitant to go with a hourly rate since i'm not sure i could come up with a good estimate.
with regards to scope of work - would be permit set and builder's set

basically looking for a rate (ball park) to make fair buck without getting ripped off and also get some experience under the belt

would say $ 6 000 be reasonble?

Mar 26, 05 12:56 am  · 
 · 
funga

in the city of angels, from 7 to 12 percent, do you need an stamp , where you are?

it depends if it is contemporary and full of crazy details, or traditional, if you need a consultant you should charge them separatly.

Plus how good friend he is ???

Mar 26, 05 1:32 am  · 
 · 
Dazed and Confused

I'd charge $800.00 and spend 10 hours on it.

Mar 26, 05 2:46 am  · 
 · 
yoiyoi

anyone else want to chime in?

Mar 28, 05 11:31 am  · 
 · 
archie

$800 is crazy. And architects complain that we make too little. Duh, could charging a 1% fee be a reason? On a small addition, a 10-15% fee is the minimum you can charge if you are going to do a decent job in an office. If you are doing it freelance for a friend, that's a different story, because your overhead is nothing, and you want to cut your friend a break. You are going to spend a minimum of 100 hours probably. since it is a friend, determine a fair hourly rate (depending on your experience and locale, maybe $25 per hour?) and then charge him hourly. Tell him it will total somewhere around 100 hours, or whatever your estimate of the time is. That way, your friend will be more concious of your time, too, not insisting on seeing 42 variations of window fenestration for example.

Mar 28, 05 11:51 am  · 
 · 
Organic9

You haven't defined the extent of this project. How will the addition be used? The estimated cost of construction does not communicate the level of work that will be required of you. 10-15% may be reasonable if you are providing, Architectural, plumbing , HVAC mechanical and electrical design and engineering as a complete package. However, if you are just providing architectural, on a family room addition and the rest will be by the contractor, 10-15% would be out of line. Some of what you will need to do may include:
1. Providing a dimensional survey of the existing residence. At least in the area, of the addition.
2. How will the addition be affected by zoning bulk and area requirements?
3. What code issues are going to impact on the design.
4. You need to prepare as existing drawings.
5. Design, and meetings with your client.
6. Are than any unusual structural issues.
7. construction doc.'s & spec's. ( will the project be competativly bid, or is a contractor allready involved.

Mar 28, 05 1:04 pm  · 
 · 
abracadabra

ok. with budgets like that you don't want to exhust the budget by 15 percent fee. specially your 'friend' have only 80K for the entire project. since the clients are your friends, probably they like your work/personality and they will give you freedom to do something you like. some busy and seasoned professionals here will say no way, but consider the value of doing your own project, if you are just starting to do these things. we all have to start doing our own work sometime and this sounds like a good way to start for you. you will have ops to charge standart fees later. however it is work and it will take time to do and your friend will respect you for asking a nominal fee for it.
if you want numbers, i'd ask somewhere around 3-5K. this way there is more money for the construction thus better for the finish work and furnishings.
i know very well known architect friend doing freebies for some of his 'friends' occasionally.

Mar 28, 05 1:23 pm  · 
 · 
yoiyoi

thanks abra
that was helpful

organic
with respect to scope i expect to do a full set of permit drawings and also some builder's dwgs (architectural only) mech hvac structural etc will have be billed separately. the extension will be bedrooms/bath

i expect a contractor to be brought on to the project early so some construction details can be worked out as the dwgs proceed

Mar 28, 05 2:12 pm  · 
 · 
silverlake

If its two stories I would imagine you need structural calcs and drawings. Usually for residential you don't need any MEP- the conctractor takes care of it.

I would say 3k is good, 5k is your going to include structural (which you should).

Mar 28, 05 4:31 pm  · 
 · 
jas

For a two story addition..let's say its typical rooms and nothing overly special i'd say your looking at 3.5K-6K...

big range is due to the amount of square footage. I have a hard time when people ask what i charge because theres so many variables...but typically its in the $4 a sf. range. That's for a example a 500 sf. 2 or 1 bedrom single story addition would come out to about $2000. If they need a structural stamp then i have them do a proposal between the engineer and the owner that way its not part of my fee.

Mar 28, 05 5:23 pm  · 
 · 
jas

For a two story addition..let's say its typical rooms and nothing overly special i'd say your looking at 3.5K-6K...

big range is due to the amount of square footage. I have a hard time when people ask what i charge because theres so many variables...but typically its in the $4 a sf. range. That's for a example a 500 sf. 2 or 1 bedrom single story addition would come out to about $2000. If they need a structural stamp then i have them do a proposal between the engineer and the owner that way its not part of my fee.

Mar 28, 05 5:23 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: