Archinect
anchor

Dilemma...

harveylamar

Check this out....
I live on the west coast and looking to move to NYC in the next 6 mo. or so. Not really expecting anything from stories I've read here, I sent out a couple of resumes to get a feel for the market out there. Lo and behold, I got a call back from a great place, sent them a portfolio with all of my good stuff, telephone interview, and now they seem very interested.

I've been working on/off contract for the last month or so and don't have two nickels to rub together. On my last can of tuna fish kind of broke. If I can get myself out there to meet them, I feel I've got a 90% shot at getting the job. What then, do I sell everything, car, tv, furniture, etc. to scrape up the dough to move and crash at a buddy's place in NYC until he throws me out, but snag the job? Or do I stay here, pick up more work that seems to be on the horizon and save until I can do it comfortably, and take my chance moving there without a job lined up in the summer?

Thoughts?

Mar 20, 05 11:08 pm
Tectonic

-----Make money first--- without money you will probably burn bridges, and not only that but you won't be able to build them either---good luck

Mar 20, 05 11:13 pm  · 
 · 
harveylamar

good point...thanks

Mar 20, 05 11:16 pm  · 
 · 
eeayeeayo

If you have a place to stay in NYC - and if your friend will allow you to crash there for a month or more - then just go. You'll most likely make more money at this new job, and if you're staying with a friend your living expenses will be low for a little while, so you'll be in a better position to save money... Besides, it's hard to find a job cross-country without interviewing in person - so if you've got a good one lined up TAKE IT!

You might as well sell your stuff, as most of it likely won't fit into your NYC apartment anyway, and unless it is very special stuff it probably isn't worth what it will cost to move it cross-country.

Do consider though that your stay with your friend may last quite awhile if you are currently broke. At the very least you need to scrape up rent + security (security can be up to 1.5 months rent), and lots of people also end up paying a finder's fee of up to 15% of the annual rent. Then there're the fees to start up your uitilities, a little money to buy something to sleep on, etc.

Mar 20, 05 11:19 pm  · 
 · 
harveylamar

I think between car and electronics I could scrape together 3k. And with my first paycheck could probably put down on a place. Meaning I would be couch surfing for 3 weeks. doesn't sound so bad actually.

Mar 20, 05 11:23 pm  · 
 · 
psymian

two words ... FUCK IT ... walk through the fear and emerge with at least an entertaining anecdote or two.

honestly, ask yourself, "self ... if success were guaranteed and money wasn't an option, where would i be and what would i be doing?"

it's THE City man ... how could it be anything less than simultaneously terrifying and exciting?

btw, should i move outta my mom's basement or do ladies still regard architects living at home in the same vein as misunderstood/sensitive artistic types? just wondering ...

Mar 21, 05 7:25 am  · 
 · 
Cloutier

sounds like quite an adventure. if you run out of money just start a fundraiser on archinect!

Mar 21, 05 8:29 am  · 
 · 
harveylamar

symian...yeah that's the spirit...thanks

cloutier....not a bad idea...

so, I scraped enough dough together today to buy a plane ticket. Fly out next week to meet them and nail down the specifics...I'll keep you posted

Mar 21, 05 11:12 pm  · 
 · 
losdogedog

harveylamar,
Change is good and essential for an architect.
read "who moved my cheese" A dumb little book, but inspirational.

Mar 21, 05 11:24 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: