Archinect
anchor

Architecture School Dropout

I'm just curious to know how many people your studio loses per semester. Do the dropouts increase as time goes by, or does it plateau? I'm sure Graduate Programs are different, but how many people do you/did you lose in your undergrad?

I am first year-second semester and we have lost 9 that I can think of off the top of my head. For a class of 65ish, that seems quite high. ...and it seems that there are at least another five whose clock is ticking.

Mar 15, 05 8:08 pm
e

as a grad student, i taught a first year, first semester studio class. i started with 12 students and lost three by the end of the semester. so 25%. pretty common for a high drop out rate in the first couple of semesters. most are naive about the amount of dedication required.

Mar 15, 05 8:16 pm  · 
 · 
momentum

thats nothing, i started with a class of 300 or so, and that got taken down to about 120-140 by the 2nd year. 80 or so for 3rd year, but after that it was too hard to keep track because i was too busy to give a damn.

when i was teaching as a grad student i would typically have 2 students from each class drop during the semester, but i would typically never see half of them in the architecture building again after the end of the year or semester.

Mar 15, 05 8:23 pm  · 
 · 
Archi-F

At my undergrad we had 110 people first year. By third year we were down to 28. At graduation we had 23.

Mar 15, 05 8:26 pm  · 
 · 
eeayeeayo

In undergrad at least 50% of the people who started in my class had either left or gotten out of sync with the year (i.e. taken time off or failed enough that they ended up in another class) by the time we graduated.
This is not unusual in undergrad programs.

In grad school not one person dropped out over the course of 3 years, and our class graduated with considerably more than we started with because of people returning from leaves of absence and such.

Mar 15, 05 8:47 pm  · 
 · 
evilplatypus

I started with about 125 - graduated with 4, but that was off-cycle in december.

Mar 15, 05 9:11 pm  · 
 · 
Cloutier

hmmmm in my class we started 110. im in my second year now, and we're down to 70. we probably lost about 20 people the first semester. and i think that most of the people left are going to survive.

Mar 15, 05 10:41 pm  · 
 · 
Tim DeCoster

my undergrad school lost about 50% about 2 years into the program becasue you have to "re-apply" to continue your undergrad arch. degree. It keeps things more serious and more competetive.

Mar 15, 05 10:44 pm  · 
 · 
pvb358

at michigan undergrad, started with 102, graduated with 90 or so, but many (50%) are not pursuing architecture as a career

Mar 15, 05 10:46 pm  · 
 · 
Ms Beary

pre-arch (first year) was 360, maybe half of us applied to go on, of which 65 were accepted. an average of four left a year. we gained three from elsewhere.
best reasons for leaving:
one guy went crazy during review week - they found him walking on a highway a few miles out of town. he never came back.
several flunkers - a big fat F in studio holds you back a year.
one older chick spread one year's coursework out to two cause she had to commute several hours every day for her and it got to be too much. took her twice as long, she "flunked" every year! but make it!
sometimes people got sick and couldn't take the work load - mono, meningitis, alcoholism.
some realized they were doing it for image and must have decided it wasn't going to happen.
i can't imagine much more than half of us are practicing three years after graduation.

Mar 15, 05 11:10 pm  · 
 · 
Oana S.

we were 80 at the beginning. now we are 40. ca. 25 will graduate.

Mar 16, 05 3:11 am  · 
 · 
psymian

2nd Year Opt.III Grad student UofOregon Stats ...

Started with 43 ... lost 2 first year (found it wasn't for them), lost 2 second year (one - no idea why, other - transfered) ... all others are in for the long haul (90% retention)

Mar 16, 05 3:26 am  · 
 · 
David Cuthbert

1-2 year averages about 3.5%
2-4 year it goes up to 15%
grad school is a whopping 20 - 30%

but it starts out bad too 2000-3000 applicants for 30 places

Mar 16, 05 9:28 am  · 
 · 

we were 125 in the beginning. Now, two months away from graduation, there are around 65 of us. The VAST majority of those who dropped did so in the first year, then less second year, then a handful or less have dropped/been failed each year since then. So I'd say around 30% dropped first year, 15% dropped second year, and 5% have dropped in the upper years.

Mar 16, 05 10:28 am  · 
 · 

oops. just realized, I shouldn't let you think that's normal. We're giving anyone who cares about the school's financial well-being hissy fits because of the small amount of tuition coming in. We've lost about twice as many people as the year above us did. For some reason occasionally we come up with a class that halves itself like we did, and sometimes there's a class that only loses 10-15% and starts having problems finding enough studios for them. I'd say my school averages a loss of 30% of each class.

Mar 16, 05 10:31 am  · 
 · 
cmu268

in my first semester there was approx. 75 students...i'm in the second semester of my 4th year now and there are 12 of us left

Mar 16, 05 3:42 pm  · 
 · 
phreak125

we started with over 150 students, and got down to under 60 by graduation... although a good third of those people shouldn't have made it to graduation... we lost almost all of them by the end of second year.

Mar 16, 05 5:42 pm  · 
 · 
phreak125

by "them" i mean the 90 who didn't graduate.

Mar 16, 05 5:43 pm  · 
 · 
crillywazzy

first-year, first-semester: 80 students.
10 weeks later, 64 students...

a portfolio review in 10 more weeks will whittle that number down to 32.

Mar 17, 05 3:08 pm  · 
 · 
trace™

Undergrad - I'd say 50-75% dropped the first semester, during the 'weed out' process.
End of 2nd year we had a pin up that eliminates another 50% or so.

Stressful, to say the least, but it does work

Mar 17, 05 3:21 pm  · 
 · 
tmoneycw

started out with about 180. now a senior and there are 65.

Mar 18, 05 12:19 am  · 
 · 
inkwray

14 to begin with.
4 left.

Mar 20, 05 7:27 pm  · 
 · 
ksArcher

first year (pre arch) around 300+
second year start 84
second year , third quarter we are down to about 65 or slightly less
probably 45ish will graduate

Mar 20, 05 11:39 pm  · 
 · 
le bossman

we lost a lot our first 2 years of undergrad....but when we got into the 'upper division' of our program [3rd year] it plateaued and we only lost one more student. i think we may have lost one or two in 1.75 years of grad school.

Mar 21, 05 4:48 pm  · 
 · 
NSJ

March1. Started with 18. Dropped two immediately (1st week) then another transfered out after 1st semester. Gained 14 advanced standing at start of 3rd semester. 28 and holding half way through 4th semester.

Mar 21, 05 10:25 pm  · 
 · 
TheGreatEscape

hazing.

Dec 10, 16 2:15 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur
11 year old threads.
Dec 10, 16 10:17 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: