Archinect
anchor

arch schools that operate as practices?

spiderdad

hi all,

has anyone heard of schools of arch that work as a full-on architectural practice?
ie, the students work liked dogs to produce work (as any other interns in practice) but an emphsis is placed on the the students actually learning, on a day to day basis...

i heard china has one set up and london met are looking into it...? but dont have any more info-- anyone???

Mar 15, 05 8:09 am
post-neorealcrapismist

The Univerity of Detroit Mercy has an intigrated non-profit office. Students have the chance to work as interns in the office after their third year of school. It is also an excelent learning tool to see the day to day operations. I dont know if that is what you are asking, but it may be close

Mar 15, 05 8:18 am  · 
 · 

I saw a lecture about the Detroit Community Design Collaborative that Detroit Mercy has about two weeks ago - they're doing really amazing work and is worth looking into. Unfortunately their website is so-so as far as navigation, etc.:

http://www.arch.udmercy.edu/dcdc.htm

Mar 15, 05 8:45 am  · 
 · 

The Frank Lloyd Wright school/cult does this at Taliesin West, but it seemed kind of creepy.

Mar 15, 05 10:05 am  · 
 · 

it that such a bad idea on school giving hands-on practices to students, even with good pay?

i'm at the boston architectural center at the moment, and when I started my first year there, I had to look for a full-time job in an architecture firm weeks before the semester started because the industry is not as good as before and there are not a lot of jobs out there. it was tough, therefore talks among my fellow classmates that the school should have an in-house studio began in order to help students who has such difficulty; since working full-time, finding real like experience and problem is one of the school's requirement/curriculum.

of course this fell through beause we could never find enough students to file this to the school.

i guess working for the school has been a bad experience for all?

Mar 15, 05 10:32 am  · 
 · 
abracadabra

this is done in turkey. planning schools do general plans for client cities that are mostly get adopted. also, architectural projects. professors were banned fron private practice for a long time. great policy for architecture schools. sci arc was set up in early days so students could work tuesdays and thursdays in offices.

Mar 15, 05 11:02 am  · 
 · 
abracadabra

i didn't mean banning the profs from private practice is great policy. real office programs in schools are great policy. correction.

Mar 15, 05 11:08 am  · 
 · 
ge-ril-a

plymouth or portsmouth in the uk used to have a unit that worked students on their year out.

They did a lot of lottery funding applications in the late nineties, which meant that whilst the projects were "live" in some ways the students did not get paid until funding came through and in some cases this never happened.

thus the two guys who were running it were accused from some quaters of being unproffessional and basically abusing their positions as educators etc etc

but this sort of thing goes on in proffessional practice all the time!

rural studio?

Mar 15, 05 11:54 am  · 
 · 
le bossman

i would say Detroit Mercy or Taliesin West are your best bets for real experience, or you might try Lawrence Tech or the BAC if you want to hang around a bunch of 'real world' [consequently, i have no idea what the heck that means] minded people. Michigan does a few community oriented design studios that design real stuff, as well as design charrettes in Detroit that do a lot of great things in conjuction with the local gov't but they don't generally get consideration by the city.

Mar 15, 05 4:57 pm  · 
 · 
atsama

At UPenn there is a project called PennPraxis (everything there is called "Penn____" as if its normal to make "Penn" a prefix) - its run by the professor who teaches professional practice, and the idea was to get small projects either through the universtiy or whatever, and complete them as a collaboration through professor and student. Its new, and I have been out for a year, so I dont know how successful its been, but you can check http://www.design.upenn.edu/pennpraxis/

Mar 17, 05 11:10 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: