Archinect
anchor

Material samples needed

Jiminie

hey i am working on a project and need a place where i can research materials that are flexible and durable.
any suggestions? (the scale's slighter larger than a business card)

Mar 14, 05 12:33 pm
e

what are you doing? what about this >> http://www.yupo.com/

Mar 14, 05 12:46 pm  · 
 · 
Jiminie

working on a credit card for teens...need cool material..

Mar 14, 05 12:52 pm  · 
 · 
e

is this a real project? isn't the plastic used standardized? probably by the companies that makes the card readers? just wondering.

Mar 14, 05 12:59 pm  · 
 · 
Jiminie

it can be anything...someone was suggesting aluminum

Mar 14, 05 1:09 pm  · 
 · 

I don't know if you can get them to make it thin enough, but...
www.3-form.com
one of my current favorites.

Mar 14, 05 1:51 pm  · 
 · 
Ms Beary

i don't get it. what's wrong with the plastic that cards are made of now?
why reinvent the credit card of all things?
do teenagers think "credit cards aren't cool enough, i don't want one. but if it were made out of something other than plastic, I might get one."

Mar 14, 05 2:00 pm  · 
 · 

no, but I bet if there were one card that looked cooler, they would want THAT one specifically. sad, but true.

Mar 14, 05 2:07 pm  · 
 · 
e

just what we need >> seducing people who know nothing about money to spend it even thought they don't have it to spend. i think you should put a huge warning message on it. kinda like canada does for cigs. hmm, designing credit cards for kids sounds like a candidate for the a time for scruples thread.

Mar 14, 05 2:16 pm  · 
 · 

Jiminie did you look through the Transmaterial research catalogue? I thought I saw a few things which were flexible and durable in there... I'll look around for other resources.

Mar 14, 05 2:19 pm  · 
 · 

now that I think about, I think aerogel would be super fantastic...

Mar 14, 05 2:35 pm  · 
 · 
e

it says that airglass is a very brittle material, and aluminum will bend over time if in a wallet.

Mar 14, 05 2:38 pm  · 
 · 
instrumentOFaction

as for metals, I would think that you would first need to make sure that any metal or alloy would be feasible for use in the standard card reader/swiper at retail locations. i would imagine that since the card strip is some type of applied metal you would need to watch out for interference. what about carbon fiber or resin-impregnated fabric of some kind...tyvek?

Take John's advice and look at the Transmaterial catalogue.

If this is really for 'teens' then i might think of the other 'end user' of this card...the retail clerk...and make sure the card is easiy cut up with a pair of scissors. ;-)

Mar 14, 05 2:38 pm  · 
 · 
Marc Pittsley

how about something highly flammable?
It could literally burn a hole in your pocket...

Seriously though, maybe something that disintegrates with over-use?

Mar 14, 05 2:44 pm  · 
 · 
Jiminie

thanks guys. appreciate the suggestions.

Mar 14, 05 2:48 pm  · 
 · 

they have transparent aluminium too. not sure it's flexible though...

Mar 14, 05 2:54 pm  · 
 · 
e

nice one marc. the material can gradually get redder and redder as the debt on the card increases then one day they open their wallet and there is nothing but dust.

i do find this topic disturbing.

Mar 14, 05 2:59 pm  · 
 · 
Jiminie

where can i order a sample of the transparent aluminum?

Mar 14, 05 3:44 pm  · 
 · 

The only listing I've seen is Starlight. Let me know if they send you a sample...

Mar 14, 05 4:01 pm  · 
 · 

it's not really metal though...

A consortium of European research labs has developed a transparent alumina-oxide ceramic material by subjecting fine-grained aluminum particles to 1200 degrees Celsius heat. This material is very lightweight, yet has a mechanical strength which is three times that of hardened steel of the same thickness. It also has significantly high corrosion resistance. (Alumina is the oxide of the metal aluminium, the base of aluminous salts, a constituent of a large part of the earthy siliceous minerals and the characterizing ingredient of common clay. In its natural state, it is the mineral corundum.)

The improved material will solve problems in existing applications (e.g., metal halide lamps) and will lead to new applications such as scratch-resistant windows. Metal halide lamps with improved alumina ceramics will enable to replace energy-wasting halogen lamps on a larger scale which is not possible now. This can lead to substantial energy savings up to 7 billion KWh in Europe, which corresponds to one big power station or 4.5 million tons CO2.

Mar 14, 05 4:03 pm  · 
 · 
Jiminie

they don't have a contact on their website...
it's ok if you know of anything else, let me know/
thanks again!!

Mar 14, 05 4:08 pm  · 
 · 

here is an email address..

[email protected]

Mar 14, 05 4:09 pm  · 
 · 
Cloutier

cool credit cards for teens? yeah we've got that in quebec (canada)

See through credit card

hehehe thats actually the one i have! haha not because of the cool see-through plastic though... its just a bonus!

Mar 14, 05 5:51 pm  · 
 · 
ericharch
www.materialconnexion.com

They offer an online virtual library of materials or if you live in/near NYC you can access their physical library. They have all sorts of new and wild product design type materials. But you have to pay to get access.

Mar 14, 05 6:02 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: