Archinect
anchor

Architect/Client relationship

Nancy

As a student of architecture who has yet to enter the professional practice, I'm wondering to those already immersed, if the architect / client relationship has ever forced the architect to sort of "dumb down" a conceptual idea/development of a project simply as a means of communication or as a way of selling a project. I can only assume so, and if it is so, how does this reflect on architecture either as an ideal or as a discipline? And can it even be argued as demeaning to the profession...

Mar 12, 05 6:13 pm
Ms Beary

We aren't really supposed to say anything to a client besides really basic stuff like tell them sq. ft. and explain room adjacencies and basic materials.
and I also have to wonder if it makes it seem what we do really really simple.
i would love to talk over their heads and act like a hot shot artsy technical know how goddess that they can't even touch, but word is at our office that is a no-no cause it belittles the client and can make them run in fear or lose excitement about the project cause they feel left out. Not only are we not to go into anything theoretical, but technical as well.
My first presentation to a client, I didn't realize this and gave the presentation like I would have for school. While that particular client loved it, I was informed not to do that again.

Mar 12, 05 6:36 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

concepts are for college

Mar 12, 05 6:55 pm  · 
 · 
mauOne™

.... i dont discuss architecture with clients........ (some famous quote)

Mar 12, 05 7:02 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: