Archinect
anchor

Can anyone recommend a personal printer??

britton

Currently own an HP Deskjet 712c and am in need of an obvious update. Was hoping to print out hi-res images that are of portfolio-quality. I'd like to stick to HP printers but am open to suggestions and/or at least features/options that anyone has found helpful. I was also considering one of those all-in-one machines that have the copier/scanner/etc. capabilities, but wasn't sure of the image results. Thanks.

Jun 1, 04 4:02 pm
aeaa

epson
I have an older model, 1160 I think?, and its a horse and rocks. Bought it 5 years ago and it is still kickin. the quality is hard to beat.

Jun 1, 04 4:07 pm  · 
 · 
anatomical gift

I've had good luck with a number of epson photo printers. Whatever is the new standard 8 1/2 x 11 model will probably kick ass. They are only around $100 and are very good. It will be slow but worth it. My portfolio took around 5 hours to print each one.

Now they have printers that print directly onto inkjet CD's which is a cool feature.

Jun 1, 04 4:12 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

Epson stylus photo 1280. Can do large format, up to 13"x19", or roll.

Jun 1, 04 4:23 pm  · 
 · 
e

i have an epson stylus photo 2220. it rocks but is a bit pricey. it does 13 x 19. has 7 ink cartridges >> cyan, light cyan, magenta, light magenta, yellow, either photo or matte black, and light black.

Jun 1, 04 4:36 pm  · 
 · 
mauOne™

HP 1220 csi
i love it, and it prints tabloid, reliable and does not occupy soooo much space
cool design also

:o)

Jun 1, 04 5:04 pm  · 
 · 
gasp

epson stylus photo 2200

i have had the 1280 and have had some minor annoying problems. if i was to buy now, i would get this.

Jun 1, 04 5:49 pm  · 
 · 
TED

Susan in our office. she prints well.

Jun 1, 04 5:52 pm  · 
 · 
greengoblin

another vote for epson 1280

took someone's advice on this board couple years ago. Still amazed by its quality.

Jun 1, 04 6:43 pm  · 
 · 
Epson Stylus Photo 2200

, highly recommended.

Jun 1, 04 6:59 pm  · 
 · 
Rob Chant

I have an HP DeskJet 990Cxi Professional Series which works fine, although it's a bit old I guess. If I were to get a new one I'd get the latest HP from the same series, or similar.

Is the continual evolvement of home printer technologies and features genuinely worth it, or a system to devalue what we've already bought and try to get us to buy new ones, I wonder? ;) It seems the more consumer orientated a product (be it a car, computer equipment, vacuum cleaner or tv), the more effort is put in to devalue it as quickly as possible.

I know I'll never have to buy a new mortar and pestle, vegetable cleaver or bass amplifier (and my family might well be using them for generations to come), but I'm under almost continual pressure to buy buy buy new everything-else-es.

Although having said that, some things really do get better :)

Jun 1, 04 7:29 pm  · 
 · 
trace™

I've got a Epson Photo 960 that's great. It prints on CDs, too, although I've yet to try it. It also prints large banners, on a roll, and has a built in cutter.
Look on Epson's refurbished site. It cost me $200 and was new, as far as I could tell. Hard to find ink, though (I ordered a box).

The 2200 looks great, but I've read that the cheaper 11x17 (I forget the name) is supposed to have better images. But both are years old.

Jun 1, 04 11:55 pm  · 
 · 
theWanderlister

There was a MacWorld issue recently that basically compared all the printers out there, and for low range, mid range, and high range catergories, the "Canon" printer beat out the rest... everyone on this post talks about hp or Epson... but does anyone have any thoughts on the Canon brand?

Dec 18, 04 12:01 am  · 
 · 
spaghetti

From my experience, the quality of prints were okay, but the printers tend to die in a couple years. I had a cannon bubble jet and had issues with the loading tray... so had to manually load all the time.
it wasnt that bad, but soon, my color ink cartridges stopped working, no matter how much i cleaned/replaced ink... just didnt work.

I have switched to hp, and so far its been solid performance , and good quality. Although the ink replacement costs are going throught the roof now...

Dec 18, 04 1:18 am  · 
 · 
anthony dong

Epson R320....like most inkjets, it helps to get their brand of paper for good print results....

Dec 18, 04 8:58 am  · 
 · 
mauOne™

HP 1220 csi great printer

Dec 18, 04 9:03 am  · 
 · 
Ms Beary

i've got the HP 1210
its a copier scanner and printer. color copies too. does a good job. photos don't come out well. the copier is so easy to use and i use it all the time. was less than $100. compact and tidy.

Dec 18, 04 12:16 pm  · 
 · 
e

i have the epson photo 2200, and i am quite happy with it. 7 ink cartridges, large format and an adaptor for paper on a roll.

Dec 18, 04 12:27 pm  · 
 · 
Tim DeCoster

another vote for the HP 1220C. Very handy in that it can print out quality color up to 13"x19". There's a new version of this printer out now, not sure what the model number is. I am pretty sure that this printer uses the same black ink as your 712 does, so if you buy a handful of cartridges at a time like I do, this could be handy because you wouldn't have to wait to deplete your current ink.

I also have a HP 7660, which has 4800X4800 resolution and memory card slots. This is also very nice, but only prints up to 8.5x11.

Go with HP... everyone has their opinions, I understand... I had an epson stylus photo, and had nothing but problems. It ended up in the garbage. However, I am told that epson does better at true color representation than HP. I haven't noticed a world of difference, but I'm not a graphic artist either.

Dec 18, 04 5:08 pm  · 
 · 
Kai

I have an epson 1280 and everyone says it prints 13 x 19, but I'm printing my portfolio on 8.5 x 22 in and it work fine, also, another nod to its amazing quality

Dec 19, 04 3:41 am  · 
 · 
David Cuthbert

buy a HP plotter - sell prints to students who can't wait in line to use the schools', it will pay for itself in months (i kid you not)

Dec 20, 04 8:20 am  · 
 · 
tect75

i had the hp 1220c, great printer. died last year great printer though. recently bought the canon 9100. awesone printer, best thing i like about it is the seperate tanks for each color. that was the only thing i didnt like about the 1220c, one color tank. print quality on the 9100 is awesome, 13x19 borderless, etc.

Dec 20, 04 2:47 pm  · 
 · 
theWanderlister

So Here's the Tally:

Epson 2200 tied with HP 1220 with 4 votes each. (High End, Discontinued)
Epson 1280 has 3 votes. ($400, available)
Epson 1160 has 2 votes. (Discontinued)
Epson R320, 960, 2220 has 1 vote
HP 1210 has 1 vote
Canon 9100 has 1 vote.

Well, the thing I learned from all of this was... That EPSON seems to be the printer to buy and HP breaks down easily and Canon isn't even close.

Jan 10, 05 12:36 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: