Archinect
anchor

firm awards on your resume

Ddot

my firm recently won an AIA chapter award for a project of mine. there's a competing firm I'd like to work for. I want them to know who was responsible for the award, and include it in some information I'm sending them.

so, anyone have any ethical problem with that? any advice?

Mar 7, 05 4:07 pm
abracadabra

if the award is given to the 'firm', it is that. however, you can write about your role in the project no problem.
doesn't aia awards list the names on the project team anyway?

Mar 7, 05 4:22 pm  · 
 · 
Ddot

being a chapter award, I don't think it does.

thanks for your thoughts.

not that I want to re-design my resume and portfolio again, but perhaps mention of the award is better in a cover letter and removed from the resume sheet.

Mar 7, 05 4:30 pm  · 
 · 
enzo76

Of course! If worked hard on that project, you should take credit as a team member. There is nothing dishonest or misleading about that.

Mar 7, 05 4:34 pm  · 
 · 
abracadabra

actually, i believe it looks better in your resume and portfolio rather than in cover letter where you can more specifically tell about it.

Mar 7, 05 4:35 pm  · 
 · 
Ddot

project architect. I got a pencil sketch on trace from a partner, then developed the entire project. I did 100% of drawings - plans, sections, elevations, foundation, framing, details, material selection, all that good stuff. 100% construction admin. then selected photos, wrote and coordinated the submissions for publication and awards. I think that's pretty much what I meant by 'project of mine'.

I attended the awards banquet, and one of my co-workers was shocked and pissed off that I wasn't asked to receive the award. Instead, one of the partners went up and got it.

Mar 7, 05 7:12 pm  · 
 · 
abracadabra

wow. what a cow. award hunger got to him.

Mar 7, 05 7:18 pm  · 
 · 
SpatialSojourner

I'm updating my resume for some reason and so I have come to this quandary.  A project recently won an award - I was the project intern but the firm is really tiny so one is either a principle or an intern there.  The firm is run like an architecture school studio with the interns generating 3 options at the beginning and the firm principle picking an idea/presenting their own idea and the intern generates everything from renderings to construction documents to award submission diagrams.  Right now I have: Award Name, Project title, Firm Name - Project Intern.  Is that kosher?

I personally don't care too much for architecture awards but I recently won one from the American Institute of Awards and was really surprised at the amount of weight people seem to put on them.  I never included them on my resume but now I'm thinking that I probably should. 

Apr 27, 14 8:26 am  · 
 · 
The way I've put the one I recently received is I've listed my responsibility for that project in my resume experience section, and then in the award section listed the award with (while at so and so) at the end.
Apr 27, 14 10:54 am  · 
 · 
quizzical

Ddot - congratulations on the award. You definitely should reference the award, and include an honest description of your role on the project, in your credentials submittal.

One word of caution, however, While you are justifiably proud of your accomplishment, be aware that perhaps your current firm may not necessarily share your exact view of your contribution - firms can be funny that way. 

The way you describe how the project unfolded suggests that beyond the "pencil sketch on trace from a partner" nobody else in the firm had any involvement in the project. It's not likely your firm would see it that way -- much less accept your somewhat dismissive attitude towards the value of the initial concept. More likely, they're going to feel you developed and executed their concept under their very capable tutelage and supervision.

My advice - be scrupulous and professional in the way you describe your role on the project, perhaps even understating it slightly. Definitely don't go down a path that may sound exaggerated to someone who doesn't otherwise know the full story.

Resumes have a funny way of circulating around the industry and you can't be certain yours won't make it's way back to your current employer. I routinely receive calls from colleagues in the industry inquiring about the "real" role of current, and former, employees on certain projects. 

Good luck.

Apr 27, 14 1:29 pm  · 
 · 

+1 on quizz's answer. spot on. 

Apr 27, 14 2:45 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: