Archinect
anchor

The Military

ArchChick03

Are there any architects here who have previously been in the military? Just curious because I'm thinking about going to the Air Force for about four years. I've always wanted to be an architect but I'm not sure if I'll still want to be one when I get out of the military. But most likely I will.

Mar 5, 05 11:14 pm
hutch

The Navy has a Civil Engineering Corp, in which you can work on IDP and become a registered architect. They may even send you to grad school for free, provided you stick it out for a while. I'm guessing the work isn't "high design," but it sounds like there will be many opportunities for project management - plus it pays better than an beginning intern salary. There are some links on the Navy website. I briefly considered this option when i couldn't find a job (not even at home depot!)

Mar 6, 05 4:56 pm  · 
 · 
LaTorpilleRose

hutch,

that sounds like a roundabout way of avoiding the responsibility of killing if you are in the military. Isn't that the point, especially now?

Mar 7, 05 12:37 am  · 
 · 
LaTorpilleRose

Actually, let me clarify my previous post. I may have been a bit hasty.

What I meant was, wouldn't joining the Navy's Civil Engineering Corp put you in a position in which you weren't fully able to live up to the military doctrine of Kill Or Be Killed? I mean, you can't really expect there to be a moment where you'll need to jump up from your PC and slit a guy with a machete, can you? (And trust me, that would be a PC you'd be behind, I don't believe they've ever had Macs within the government. They've been in cahoots with IBM since the Carter administration.)

Mar 7, 05 12:52 am  · 
 · 
optimk

LaTorpilleRose:

FYI

I think you mean bayonette. The military doesn't use machettes, and I thinkn the proper verb for maiming someone with a machette is "hack" as in: "He hacked me to death with a rusty machette."

Mar 7, 05 2:48 am  · 
 · 
optimk

You could slit someone with a stilletto...that be pretty cool. Undercover black ops architects with blades...

Mar 7, 05 2:49 am  · 
 · 
hutch

It sounded like the CEC had almost no chance of being deployed to hostile territory, but the was the option to join the "Sea-Bees," in which you would supervise construction of run-ways, bridges, and other support infrastructure in times of war. I think they even let you carry a gun. Imagine that, Architects with guns. Sounds like quite the oxy-moron.

Mar 7, 05 7:46 am  · 
 · 
ArchChick03

LaTorpilleRose,

I can't find any information on the Navy's Civil Engineering Corp. Do you know any other place to find info other than the Navy site?

Mar 8, 05 1:34 am  · 
 · 
ARCHITKD

They are going bankrupt. Anyway, if I were you I would forget about joining the military. As for your question about if you would still be interested in be an architect after serving, it depends entirely on your drive to become an architect. I serve five years active duty in the Army, and went straigth to architecture school afterwards. I am now a graduate, and I am telling you don't waist your time. The only good thing about thati s that many employers would hire you because they assume that you have alot of discipline.

Mar 8, 05 9:44 am  · 
 · 
gorangatang

Are you done with college or not? Obviously if you are wanting to join the navy you have thought about what that means so I won't comment on that. A guy I went to school with as an undergrad joined the navy seabees and has used it to pay off his loans, gain IDP hours and pay for his liscensure. Additionally he and his wife have been stationed all over the world (iceland, germany, san diego and several undisclosed locations)... They allowed him 6 months off to get his design IDP credits at a firm in San Diego and since he had his degree he was automatically an officer. This is the plus side obviously, the negatives are pretty obvious and include a lack of design opportunities and control over your life. you can find out more at http://www.navy.com/seabees .

Mar 8, 05 10:41 am  · 
 · 
rothko67

ArchChick..
I was in the Air Force as a young lad, and am now an architect. I went in the military not knowing what I wanted to do in my life, and the primary thing I learned was that I didn't want to be in the military. Everyone is different though. I'd be happy to discuss my experiences, or help answer any other questions you might have about the AF if you want. Just email me.

Mar 8, 05 11:38 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: