Archinect
anchor

A film I made for a project

siggers

I made this short film (6 mins .wmv format) for a project to design a new HQ building for Scottish Ballet. We did a short film exercise where we analysed a particular film and created representations of it. Total bullshit but quite fun. My design was all about hiding and revealing the processes and functions of Ballet on a busy urban sight. Had a lot of fun on the project, and I made this video to help 'sell' this idea of revealing the inner workings of the city as an architectural (and social) concept. I didn't finish it on time however so I would appreciate any thoughts/comments, although I realise this is quite an abstract piece of work.

Cheers

http://andri.haflidason.com/upload/HQvideo.wmv

Mar 5, 05 8:25 pm

beautiful images. if you're proposing that somehow you'll propose a building that works like this cool sound-and-image collage of textured, dramatically lit, and visceral city sites, then i'm for it. i'd like to see that building...

where do you start?

Mar 5, 05 10:34 pm  · 
 · 
djaffe

nice film. nice choice in music, really goes well with the abstrakt qualities of the building. Thought maybe you could have integrated the imagery of the building more with the sequence of the film. A little abrupt towards the end there. Maybe the building becomes a character or some reoccuring element. Anyhow, glad to see arch students are working with film out there, it is such a powerful medium.

Mar 5, 05 10:38 pm  · 
 · 
AP

what film is the city footage from? the layering of street scenes and speeds of movement is fascinating. I agree with djaffe as far as a critique of the film itself, but hopefully you still see the film / film analysis as an exceptionally rich starting point for a project. The depth and contrast of the film and the layers within it should find their way into the building. There is a ballet building by Herzog and deMueron in London (I think) that plays this game of revealing the activity of ballet, are you familiar with it? I would also love to see the building that comes from imbuing this concept with the drama and sensuality of city life.

Mar 6, 05 12:50 am  · 
 · 
c.k.

Isn't that the Laban centre?

Mar 6, 05 1:11 am  · 
 · 
AP

ya, that's it

Mar 6, 05 1:16 am  · 
 · 
siggers

Thanks guys, I really appreciate the constructive feedback, I am in agreement with all that was put across. The design is in fact finished, and my presentation went very well, the building is basically a large 'glass box' (I know, but don't worry) with a facade wrapped around it consisting of chrome finished circle-perforated steel, allowing light in, views in and out, while changing drastically from day to night. I did a few montages (which you saw during the film and here but I'm not that happy with them and if I have the time I will improve on them.

I took all the footage myself, in Glasgow, except for a few of the "24" style clips from the film "point break" which I used at the beginning of the film.

My dissertation is also to (attempt to) discover the value of relating film to architecture, instead of doing another essay on "dystopia and utopia in Blade Runner/Metropolis etc etc etc....

The plans/sections/elevations are all drawn of course, and as soon as I have the time I will put them online.

Thanks again

- where I have some other mini-films, and my photography, if you are interested.

Mar 7, 05 5:32 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: