Archinect
anchor

What can see in Holland ?

Lukasz

I'm going for a week to Holland. What can I see there, especially in Amsterdam and Rotterdam ???

Mar 5, 05 3:30 pm
AP

Awesome...as far as A'dam goes, depends on your interests. It would help to get a cheap guide about Architecture in A'dam. If urban scale stuff is of interest, don't miss the West 8 pier communities behind the train station. If you're not familiar, they did the masterplan and other Dutch architects designed the rest. It's an interesting take on sprawl and medium density communities. My main critique would be the lack of integration of other non-residential programs in the masterplan, but it's still cool...

Mar 5, 05 5:02 pm  · 
 · 
AP

Also, the ING Bank headquarters (a short tram ride just outside the canals of the city center) is pretty neat. There are some other good buildings immediately adjacent to it. Also, two other projects just outside the center of interest are: 1-Herman Hertzberger's montessori school, 2-MVRDV's housing for the elderly (it's called Oklahoma). I like to sketch when I travel, and these sites are particularly good for drawing and learning from (they have interesting sectional character, which reads on the exterior, since you probably can't go in either)...

Mar 5, 05 5:10 pm  · 
 · 
AP

Within the canals of the city center, I recommend the Van Gogh museum, both for the art and architecture. There is an addition to it, and the landscape design outside is good as well. This is on the outer periphery of the center. Right next to the train station is Nemo, Renzo Piano's children's museum. Cool on the outside, only worth going in if you are with kids, have a fetish for play/learn children's museums, or if you're really into Piano's design. Also, right next to it is an architecture info center, Aorta. Cool little building...

Mar 5, 05 5:15 pm  · 
 · 
AP

Above all else, make sure you rent a bike. It's the best way to experience the Dutch urban condition, just like they do...

Mar 5, 05 5:15 pm  · 
 · 
AP

On to Rotterdam...It's my opinion that A'dam is the least interesting of the several Dutch cities that I have visited. Rotterdam is wonderful, a nice juxtaposition to A'dam. There is a wider range of scales at play, mainly due to the port area. On both sides of the Erasmus Bridge (by UN Studio) are a variety of interesting modern buildings. To name a few: KPN telecom bldg by Piano, an older Norman Foster tower, a restaurant by Mecanoo, a theatre by Bolles and Wilson, and the list goes on. You'll want a bike for Rotterdam for sure. It's more spread out than A'dam...

Mar 5, 05 5:19 pm  · 
 · 
AP

If you are particularly interested in the spaces that result from consumer culture, there is an outdoor pedestrian / shopping area with some cool takes on what Koolhaas would call Junkspace. An old Marcel Breuer department store, one of the landmark pieces of early modernism to be found in Rotterdam, can be found in this area. I forget what it's called, but any tourist map would show the shopping area, a huge civic spine for local market activity in Rotterdam (as you probably know, the city was largely destroyed by WW2 bombing). Also, in Rotterdam, get lost. Just take bike ride through many of the neighborhoods and observe the life of the locals. Rotterdam is a working class city, so the culture is rich and worth checking out...

Mar 5, 05 5:25 pm  · 
 · 
AP

saving the best for last, Rotterdam is home of the NAI (netherlands architecture institute) and the adjacent MuseumPark, which includes five museums. The NAI always has a great exhibit for pretty cheap, and the bookstore is good too. The Park has two museums of particular note, MVRDV's Villa Zebra (kids museum) and Rem Koolhaas' Kunsthal (probably one of my favorite 3 buildings in the world). Don't forget your student ID for the Kunsthal to get the discount. The landscape design of the park is interesting as well...

Mar 5, 05 5:28 pm  · 
 · 
AP

short Rotterdam recap:
1. Port/Bridge area
2. Market area
3. NAI and MuseumPark (which happens to be across from the StayOkay youth hostel)...

Mar 5, 05 5:29 pm  · 
 · 
AP

Have a great trip. I recommend taking a day trip to Utrecht or Den Haag, depending on your specific interests. If you would like more feedback on either or both, I would love to help, let me know. The Netherlands is my favorite place to visit for architectural design. The Dutch are a clever bunch.

Mar 5, 05 5:32 pm  · 
 · 
Lukasz

wow !!! thanks aaronUF for your great response !!! i love it !

Mar 5, 05 5:43 pm  · 
 · 
AP

no problem Lukasz, I noticed your site had images of Copenhagen, another great European city for architectural study...another favorite of mine

Mar 6, 05 12:22 am  · 
 · 
a-f
What to see in Amsterdam
Mar 6, 05 6:07 am  · 
 · 
Lukasz

Yeap, I love Copenhagen ! The greatest city i've ever been till now.

Mar 6, 05 6:29 am  · 
 · 
Lukasz

thanks a-f , i found that too, stupid me i search for that after asking on the forum :)
thanks anyway !

Mar 6, 05 6:30 am  · 
 · 
strlt_typ

go to the top of the NeMo building to see a spectacular view of the amsterdam skyline

Mar 6, 05 5:18 pm  · 
 · 
.nl

pff.. holland is hella boring, stay out!

Mar 6, 05 5:48 pm  · 
 · 
Lukasz

.nl , sure thing :D

Mar 6, 05 5:54 pm  · 
 · 
Lukasz

One more time I'd like to thank you aaronUF :) I'll print all you suggestions ! :D
regards.

Mar 6, 05 5:57 pm  · 
 · 
siggers

You must visit the Educatorium in Utrecht, it's the most fun I've EVER HAD in a building. The whole unversity campus is cool, lots of nice architecture

Mar 7, 05 12:48 pm  · 
 · 
aml

buy this or similar:

25 Buildings You Should Have Seen Amsterdam - Arcam Pocket 15

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/9076863075/qid=1110221711/sr=1-3/ref=sr_1_3/002-6946315-7226415?v=glance&s=books

very useful, you can find it easily in amsterdam and occasionally in american archi-inclined bookstores. has addresses, directions, etc. good pocket size.

Mar 7, 05 1:57 pm  · 
 · 
AP

I agree with signum on the educatorium. I've never seen such a happy janitor! Seriously, if you have the time, Utrecht University is like a museum of contemporary architecture. From Weil arets and Mecanoo to some slightly older stuff, and of course, good 'ol Rem...

Mar 7, 05 10:34 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: